socket near sink regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi chaps, just a quick one! Im chasing in and installing the sockets ready for the sparky tuesday.

How close to a steel sink can they be? I have a socket and a spur for the washing machine to put in place.

Also is there a reg for how close a socket can be to a steel cooker?

P.s i have tried to ring the sparky but his phone is off.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no distance specified from the sink (unless it is in a bathroom) but

must not be liable to be splashed or dripped on

must be suitable for its position

300mm (1 foot) horizontal is considered to be the minimum gap. A metre is far better but not obligatory.

No rules about the cooker but do not put one directly above/behind a hob.

no distance specified from the sink

now that is intersesting.. will await the arguements, as i have a similar problem...

come on boys... :D

Sponsored Links
I think the 13th Edition or at least one of the early ones did give instructions as to cooker supply and sockets near a sink but by time 16th came along the IET started to produce a guide book which would contain advice like that and it was no longer contained within the main book.

I would consider since the 16th and 17th editions were BS7671 where before that it was not a British standard they felt advice should not be in the same book.

It must also be remembered that the 17th Edition does not limit itself to domestic and there will be cases like in laboratories where sockets are required very close to the sinks so keeping lead lengths to a minimum.

Also of course under sinks likely a socket would be required for waist disposal so it can be removed for maintenance.

If there was a rule on 300mm for example some apprentice would be spouting the rule when fitting a waist disposal unit. People do tend to try to read things into the book, carefully analysing the English as to is singular or plural. Especially now as it no longer says common sense should prevail.

in building regs it says 300mm as the minimum it did used to be 3ft in the 15th but as kitchens have got smaller !!!!!

no distance specified from the sink

now that is intersesting.. will await the arguements, as i have a similar problem...

come on boys... :D

stlill awaiting... how far along or above a sink...

in building regs it says 300mm as the minimum it did used to be 3ft in the 15th but as kitchens have got smaller !!!!!
Are you sure it is in building regs or is that just something you have heard? I have done a find in PDF and nothing has come up to say that.

I hear many say it's a regulation but no one to date can show me where it says it.

Link or regulation name and page number please. Seems a little like these scare munger emails we keep getting telling about the latest super virus. Once to take time to check on it 90% are hoaxes.

Wish there was something like http://www.hoax-slayer.com for electric items.

The 300mm distance from a sink is written in The Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations.

My copy is in the van and its too scary to go out there at this time of night. The title of the book says "GUIDE" so there is probably no actual reg for it, just something that they thought would be a good idea.

geraint - I do not believe that anyone in their right mind would mount a socket above a sink.

ericmark - where do i buy a
waist disposal unit
?
My doc has said that I should lose a few pounds. Would it be cheaper than gym membership, do you think?

thanks taylor
i have seen sockets over a sink after the people changed there kitchen but did not move the sockets !! and my friend put a socket in a bathroom cupboard or so he was told but when the bathroom was fitted it ended up over the sink so they could plug a hair dryer in !!!!! i wonder where he stood if something went wrong?

geraint - I do not believe that anyone in their right mind would mount a socket above a sink.
but how close to . the argument was not above... but either left or right... think man. or can you not... a simple question. and 300 mm please enlighten me...

Can you not ask a clear question instead of these cryptic clues you seem to like? :rolleyes:

WRT accessories near sinks/ cookers, if you're looking for a crystal clear regulation stating distances, there aren't any.

However, TTC is correct. The IEE guide to building regs does indeed SUGGEST 300mm distance.

However, only the installer can make a decision based on the immediate locality, IE is the socket liable to splashing etc...

The regs basically state whatever equipment is installed must be suited to its environment.

The 14th Edition mentions sockets should be mounted at a minimum height of 6" from the floor level or 6" above a working surface.

The 15th Edition is less clearcut. It says socket outlets shall be..." mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface such as to minimise the risk of mechanical damage to the socket...or...plug and...cord.

AFAICT, neither suggests distances from sinks/ cookers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back