stripping staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have made the decision and have started stripping our victorian staircase. I am using a heat gun and it's working fine and the paint is coming off and it has been varnished which is coming off with lots of sanding. I know its going to take forever but think it will be worth it in the end. What i want to know is it possible to buy very small sanding drill bits for in the tiny areas of the spindles etc. Also i am using very coarse sand paper to get rid of the varnish but should i then use fine sand paper after that for a better finish and what is best to finish the stairs in, Varnish or stain. I am thinking stain but once applied is there some kind of protection coat that should be applied. I am not doing the steps they are going to be carpeted its the handrails and spindles.
Cheers Lee

Sponsored Links
First,,, make sure you wear a dust mask, the paint/varnish you are stripping may contain lead !!!

There a a few sanding tools for this but it's still painstaking work. There's the Dremmel DIY tool, cheap and cheerful but does the job, with multi change heads. Or a corner sander with velcro sanding pads.

You need a fine finish if you want it to look good, so spend a bit of time on it before staining/varnishing.

Varnish, oil, stain depends on the type of wood you have uncovered ??

I'd be very careful using power sanding tools, especially those with fine heads like the dremel. They can be a bit harsh and leave marks in the wood, making more work for you. I know it takes an age to do it by hand and it's tempting to look for a faster method but with a heat gun and scraper you have more control to leave a better finish. Sand down using gradually finer grades to achieve a good finish prior to varnishing.

Sponsored Links
A dremmel is fine for the painstaking donkey work, It's the only tool i know that gets into those awkward spots!! I did comment on taking your time with finishing..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back