Partial rewire: regulations advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

Just completing on a house, which at some point in the past has had a partial rewire, but is a bit of a messy job, surface mounted wires and sockets etc. I'd like to have these all sunk, sink the sockets etc, new CU to tidy up under the stairs.

Now I'm no electrician, but I can competently do any monkey work required. I do however have two very good friends willing to help me (ie make sure I dont kill myself or someone else) who are both 17th Ed. certified, and have many years experience, one of which regularly works with high voltage. They work for industry, they're not domestic sparky's. They know the regs, know what works to the regs, but aren't part of one of the 'competent person' schemes.

So - in order for the work to be 'legal' - what steps do I need to take with BC (if I find BC needs to be notified)? If I need to notify BC, do I do it before the work is carried out, and then once the install is completed, but before the wires are covered, floorboards put back down etc, for inspection?

I've read through the electrical section on here, and on many other sites on Part P, but it still doesn't make this scenarios clear to me.

Any advice/copiuos amounts of constructive criticism (from BAS ;) ) welcomed!

Sponsored Links
the CU is notifiable and it's one fee for all work so tell them about all of it while you're at it.. most of it probably isn't notifiable unless it's in a kitchen or "special location" ( ie bathroom etc. ).

you need to notify ( and pay ) before you start work then tell them when you've first fixed ( but before patching the chases etc ) so they can come and see that it's all in the right places etc, and they tell them again when you're all done so they can send someone to test and inpect it ( at no extra cost to you.. make sure thay don't try and make you pay extra. ) and then they issue you with a compliance certificate..

if you're BC is willing then tell them that your sparky friends will be doing the work and they may accept their test certificates and give you a cheaper rate ( our LABC does providing the person doing the work is qualified and can prove it ( ie C&G certs or equiv. ))

Thanks for the reply ColJack - that is good news. Its likely I'll have work done in the kitchen, so that and the CU will be notifiable.

I just wanted to be certain that I could use my more than adequately qualified friends you see, while having a job which wouldn't complicate things from a legal perspective when I came to sell.

Sponsored Links
you can use the local homeless guy as long as you notify the bits that need notifying and pay the relavent fee..
if you DIY and get the LABC to test then it's going to cost more than if you get a pro to do it and there's no guarantee that your LABC will offer a discounted price for non-registered sparkies doing the work, they may still charge full price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back