Leaking radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently removed a radiator to paint behind it and put it back last night. I have the temperature valve fully open and all seems to be ok and no leak. However, as soon as I close off this valve it begins to leak considerably with water appearing to come through the top of the valve (the part that I twist to shut it off). Any ideas/help as to how to stop this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A very frequent occurrence, unfortunately.....if your valve has a smaller hexagon that the shaft passes through, this is called the gland nut and may be tightened. However, if there is no gland nut, then valve renewal is the only way, really.
John :)

Thanks John. I'll have another look tonight. If full valve replacement, would you suggest fitting a thermostatic valve - I guess these are more efficient?

By all means fit a thermostatic valve if you want - but do make sure its on the flow - although most do claim to be bidirectional.
I like to fit the more expensive ones like the Drayton TRV4 but others won't agree.....!
If you look at the existing valve carefully you may be able to replace like for like and therefore avoid any other pipe work adjustments.....in other words you would use the new valve, but the old compression nut and olive, which remain behind on the pipe. A completely different valve will need the rad 'tail' unscrewed from the radiator too. Not a big issue, though.
John :)

Sponsored Links
OK. I fitted a new valve to replace the one above and that is now OK with no leaks. I decided to replace the other valve as well while I was at it. However, on trying to fit the new valve I noticed that when the pipe from the floorboards was pulled up to the relevant height for the rad tail, it was just out of vertical alignment - about 10mm off to the right. On removing the old valve I noticed that the pipe had been bent to accommodate for this but it means the new valve does not fit correctly.

By my reckoning, when the pipe is not fully pulled up, it actually aligns ok. My thinking is to cut off the bent piece of pipe, add a new piece by way of a compression joint to get the correct alignment and then add the new valve.

Would this work? Or should I call in the experts???

Thanks

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back