cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help me , i have had a new radiator fitted and all the other rads are hot in the house but this one isn't. the pipe going into the rad is piping hot and the one with the thermostat vavle on is cold , please help

Sponsored Links
If you've bled the radiator and it has not cured it,then it would appear you have a valve problem.
Try having both valves open.
Some thermostatic radiator valves or only designed for the water to flow in a specified direction and some must be fitted on the inlet side of the radiator.If fitted wrong the water flow may be closing the valve
Look at the instructions carefully and see if there is an arrow on the valve and ensure it is fitted correctly.
Why not inform the fitter?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Take the head off the thermo valve and check the pin moves in +out freely,if it doesnt just grip it with pliers and slide it back +forth,add a little wd40 to the pin.90% of the time its just the pin sticking shut.

thankyou for your suggestions i will try them out today and let you know how i've got on . I did inform the fitters and they told me i would need a new hot water cylinder put in ?????? we shall see . thanks

Sponsored Links
A new cylinder ?
Oh I see, the existing cylinder does not like the new radiator, so it goes on strike and refuses to allow water into it, but a new cylinder does not know it's a new radiator and allows water in and problem solved.
There ever so clever these cylinders, why did it pick on the new radiator.
I think it's radiator discrimination

not quite radiator discrimination, i think its because its the new rad on the block

WELL I HAVE TRYED BUT NOT SUCEEDED ! IF I SWITCH OFF ALL THE OTHER RADS IN THE HOUSE , THE COLD ONE HEATS UP ! SOMEONE SAID I NEED BIGGER PIPEWORK 22MM NOT 15MM .. I'M NOT SURE IF I LIKE THESE THERMO VALVES EITHER ! THE PIPE IS RED HOT GOING TO THE NORMAL VALVE AND I PUT THE THERMO VALVE UP FULL AND NOTHING HAPPENS !! ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS ?? PLEASE.

Suggestion ---- Stop the Fitters cheque. If the rad they have fitted is not working then they need to get it to work before you pay for the job.

You say, when all the others radiators are off the problem radiator is ok.
I suppose that could rule out a valve problem then.
That must bring us to the pump and I can understand with only one radiator open the pump will be 'man enough' to deal with it.
But what happens when you have 'two' then 'three' then 'four' radiators open, at what point does it begin to fail.
I know pumps are available to cater for heads of '5 metres' and '6 metres' so it could be your pump is not 'man enough' to deal with all the radiators.
Mind you I don't know how many radiators you have or the height that the pump has to push the water up.
Perhaps placing the pump on top speed will make a differance.
You havn't said where the new radiator is fitted, it's not in the attic by chance.
I could understand if the was resistance due to too small diam. pipe but if the pipe at the radiator is hot it does not make sense(well not to me)
I'm still thinking along the lines of a faulty valve, with other radiators closed all the pumps efforts are directed to the one radiator so that little extra pressure could be the difference.
I would still verify if valve is fitted correctly

I agree that the thermostatic radiator valves either fitted wrong way round or sticking.If the pin inside the thermostatic is in then the radiator will not work.
Depend what type you've got,you can take the thermostatic head cover off(usually a allen key lock in somewhere) then you will find a pin which operate the valve.Pull it out slighty with a plier without taken it right out (careful not to damage the pin) and clean the pin with WD40 and rags or 00 steel wools,then see if you can move it backward and forward.Don't worry if the pin come out,it will go back in with some diffculty but water will dribble out.The way the thermostat works e.g. high setting pin out,lower setting pin in.Best to get the plumber back in if you're not sure.

There seems to be an echo in here.

You're right, there is . Ha Ha.

Sorry, just my sense of humour lifting it's ugly head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back