DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Removing Pebbledash & Re-rendering Advice Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timbo21

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am having my pebbledash removed on my small 2 bedroom 1930's terraced house, and then re-rendered to a smooth finish and painted, front & back.

Quotes have ranged from 2K-4760, including painting. The 4760 quote the guy has good references from doing anything from rendering through to loft conversions & extensions. He has lived round the corner from me since 2002. However, at 4760 to remove the pebbledash, render, and paint with Sandtex is pretty dear. His quote for the roof is competitive. Cheapest quote I got was 3200, and most expensive 5600. This guy has quoted 3640.

Another company has quoted 3700 for the roof, and 2.5K for the rendering job. Said they could save me money since they only have to put scaffolding up once. They've done many roofs around my area and one guys house where they have rendered over the top of his pebbledash. Their work looks great and everyone speaks highly of them. Haven't seen any of their smooth rendering though.

I've been told 2.5K is a very good price. Is there anything particularly unforeseen that may arise from removing the pebbledash though? Are they likely to take it off and tell me something that will whack another 1K on my bill?

Is there anything else I should know/watch out for? Is Sandtex as good a coating as anything else?

Cheers,

T.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
roughcaster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Very difficult to comment on any job pricing without seeing it. You've done the right thing though to get various quotes, and also have the benefit of having seen the workmanship, and knowing the reputation of some of the potential renderers/roofers. I don't think there would be any really unpleasant surprises underneath the old pebbledash, but again, i can only guess. Have a look at it now,, see if there are any bad cracks etc, that might be a problem, cos what you see now, will probably mirror what's underneath. If it doesn't look too bad now,,, it should look ok once it's all taken off. There might be a little damage to the brick/blockwork/joints etc, during the process of removing the old pebbledash, but once it's prepped and scratched and rendered, it'll look fine.
I've never used Sandtex, but i know that Weathershield is a very reliable product, for external walls.
 Alert Moderators
Timbo21

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Thanks roughcaster,

Personally, I think that 4.7K is way too much. I also think that the 2-2.5K quotes would end up being increased. I think something like 3k should reasonably cover it, especially since scaffolding would be there for the roof, already.

One of the companies has nice work, but they have a bogus address on their flyers and website, which turned out to be a take away. I spoke to the take away who said they hadn't heard of them, and they had been there 10 years. I spoke to the owner who lived above, and he hadn't heard of them either.

I then spoke to the guy on the phone who freely admitted it was a take away, but they had mail sent to the above flat. I then informed him that I had spoken to the above flat (owner) who hadn't heard of them. The guy said he was happy to give his home address, but I said I wanted the owner's address. This guy said that would be forthcoming if they got the job, but I told him I wanted it first. Will see if I get it.

It's strange, they have a great reputation from all the work they have done locally. They have been very conscientious and come back to finish off, etc. But, when you're spending 6K+ for various bits you want to know where to find them. It may actually be an offence to have a false address on your website. I know this is the case for e-traders, but not sure if this is the case when it's purely an advertising website.

The search goes on...
 Alert Moderators
external

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote

going rate for hack and spread two coats to flat on a tiny job like that will cost you 60 a square.
 Alert Moderators
garywales

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Timbo21 wrote:

One of the companies has nice work, but they have a bogus address on their flyers and website, which turned out to be a take away. I spoke to the take away who said they hadn't heard of them, and they had been there 10 years. I spoke to the owner who lived above, and he hadn't heard of them either.

I then spoke to the guy on the phone who freely admitted it was a take away, but they had mail sent to the above flat. I then informed him that I had spoken to the above flat (owner) who hadn't heard of them. The guy said he was happy to give his home address, but I said I wanted the owner's address. This guy said that would be forthcoming if they got the job, but I told him I wanted it first. Will see if I get it.

That sounds well dodgy mate avoid
 Alert Moderators
roughcaster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote

garywales wrote:
Timbo21 wrote:

Quote:
That sounds well dodgy mate avoid

Yehh, be careful,,, worth a watching really
 Alert Moderators
1john

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote

echo echo, that does sound really dodgy, i watch cowboy builders every week if i am allowed and that is the kind of thing that would be on that show, registered to a take away, it may just be a dodgy tax thing or it could be more sinister, in my opinion you should want an honest, straight, reliable tradesman. Get some more quotes and ALWAYS check references and veiw work they have done, be as thorough as you can now and it should pay off later!
 Alert Moderators
Timbo21

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote

Basically I have not more than 15 sq/m at the front, and same again at the back. I then have an additional 10 sq/m for my extension, which doesn't have pebbledash so just some rendering.

I think I have made my decision on who I would like to do it. He does the full range of building work; lives round the corner from me (you can even see him on street view getting into his van); has been on the electoral role there since 2002; I personally know a person who had their loft done by him 6 years ago (turned out to be same guy by chance); have spoken to 2 of his long standing customers who have used him extensively over the last few years who both give him glowing references; and above all he seems a nice guy and not intimidating, which so many can.

Only downside is his rendering price, so I will have to see if he is willing to come down on that
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: