I've used wax on a surface and need to seal it!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being an idiot and not reading the tub properly I have applied a coloured wax to the fireplace and doors in our living room. A small water spill has shown how easy it is to mark. Is it possible to put anything on top of the wax to protect it?

Help please as I really don't want to have to rub it all down and use a more robust stain/varnish.

Sponsored Links
uh oh. Unfortunatly you have found the peril of wax. A wax only finish is only really suitable for furniture that is valued enough to be treated carefully and looked after.

You can buy wax remover which will do a good enough good to allow you to varnish it without sanding assuming it hasn't been on too long.

Although the stain in the wax will remain and may be uneven

uh oh. Unfortunatly you have found the peril of wax. A wax only finish is only really suitable for furniture that is valued enough to be treated carefully and looked after.

You can buy wax remover which will do a good enough good to allow you to varnish it without sanding assuming it hasn't been on too long.

Although the stain in the wax will remain and may be uneven

Thanks for that, we are just debating wether to live with it - could be worse I suppose. We already have to oil our worktops every so often.

Once you've applied this wax a few times (make sure you allow enough time in between for the wood to absorb the wax) it should start to protect you wood against drips and spillages.
Once single coat does not do this.

Sponsored Links
Once you've applied this wax a few times (make sure you allow enough time in between for the wood to absorb the wax) it should start to protect you wood against drips and spillages.
Once single coat does not do this.

We've applied 3 coats, but it's the ronseal brushing wax, don't know if that makes any difference.

did you put any sanding sealer etc on first or just the wax. If you didn't seal first then as woodyoulike says it will take a few coats. Make sure you follow the drying times and i always prefer to rub wax in with either very fine steel wool or a cloth depending on wood.

did you put any sanding sealer etc on first or just the wax. If you didn't seal first then as woodyoulike says it will take a few coats. Make sure you follow the drying times and i always prefer to rub wax in with either very fine steel wool or a cloth depending on wood.

Just put the wax straight on. We experimented a bit over the weekend and waxed a couple of strips of pine, let it dry then varnished over the top, and tbh it bonded quite well with just a light rub with wire wool, so should be ok.

Brushing wax is very poor and has few applications, it wipes off too easily , I found the wax cleans off fairly easily with white spirit. You can then apply a normal furniture wax.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back