WoodburningStove Multiboard what to stick it on with

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am installing a woodburning stove and lining the fireplace with multiboard and the brickwork for the chimney is not flat and bowed a bit

What would you recommend to attach it to the brick work
was going to dot and dab it on but not sure it will with stand the heat or is there any other ways you would recommend

thanks
Grant

Sponsored Links
Who advised Multiboard for your application? It's the wrong product. It’s a Gypsum based board & although certified to class O fire resistance, is only suitable for a one off exposure to high temperature, it’s not suitable for continual exposure to temperatures above 50 degrees, as is the case for any Gypsum based plaster or plaster based boards.

This is lifted directly from the British Gypsum spec sheet;
Limitations of use
Glasroc F MULTIBOARD is unsuitable for use in areas subject to
continuously damp or humid conditions and must not be
used to isolate dampness. Glasroc F boards are not suitable
for use in temperatures above 49°C,
but can be subjected to
freezing conditions without risk of damage.

Read this archive thead (& there are ohters) & come back if you have more questions;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524

Who advised Multiboard for your application? It's the wrong product. It’s a Gypsum based board & although certified to class O fire resistance, is only suitable for a one off exposure to high temperature, it’s not suitable for continual exposure to temperatures above 50 degrees, as is the case for any Gypsum based plaster or plaster based boards.

This is lifted directly from the British Gypsum spec sheet;
Limitations of use
Glasroc F MULTIBOARD is unsuitable for use in areas subject to
continuously damp or humid conditions and must not be
used to isolate dampness. Glasroc F boards are not suitable
for use in temperatures above 49°C,
but can be subjected to
freezing conditions without risk of damage.

Read this archive thead (& there are ohters) & come back if you have more questions;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524[/QUOTE]

You wont get better information than that FZX. ;)

Sorry
I lead you down the garden path what i ment to type was masterboard but when I checked with my supplier I could not get any but they have supalux board which is the product up from masterboard

Is the supalux board ok and how would you fix it

Sponsored Links
Had a look at the spec sheet & it’s a fibre reinforced calcium silicate board listed as suitable for boiler backing so should be OK. I would not recommend fixing with dot & dab, I doubt very much if the adhesive will stand the heat; Superlux don’t recommend it either. Mechanical fixing is the way but weather you screw directly to the wall or over battens would depend on how much space you have; how do you intend to finish it?

I’ve never used these boards personally & prefer a conventional sand/cement/lime render which, done correctly, will withstand the heat. The walls surrounding the stove are also likely to reach temperatures well over 90 degrees C so Gypsum plaster/boards are not much use there either, you need a heat proof plaster or it will crack? Are you having a fire surround fitted?

Hi
I do not want to use wood battons behind it just incase so will try and use metal ones.

Due to the poor cunstruction of the chimney it has to be boarded out.

Not to sure what to finish it with yet but want a smooth finish

Souround will be probably be going on

I have some of this http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/serious-stuff do you think it would be sutible for fixing it

I have looked at screwing it but do not want to use plastic raw plugs encase they melt in the bricks and ones with metal ones have a big bold head that i can noty counter sink due to the board only being 6 mm thick

Thanks

Hi
I do not want to use wood battons behind it just incase so will try and use metal ones.
Yes I should have said don’t use wood.

Hi
Due to the poor cunstruction of the chimney it has to be boarded out.
Not to sure what to finish it with yet but want a smooth finish
Your going to be limited to either leaving the boards as is or use a heatproof finish plaster (ordinary Gypsum plaster will fail in a very short time) but the Supalux fact sheet also advises it can be difficult getting plaster to stick, as it can be with many construction boards; & then there is the heat factor again.

Hi
I have some of this http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/serious-stuff do you think it would be sutible for fixing it

Again, the problem is that the product is not designed for use where temperatures exceed 100 deg C. I’ve measured temperatures well into the 90’s in the wall area 500mm above & 300mm to the side adjacent to a tiled stove surround, the fire opening itself will exceed that by a considerable margin. Heat proof plaster will stand up to 500 deg C

Hi
I have looked at screwing it but do not want to use plastic raw plugs encase they melt in the bricks and ones with metal ones have a big bold head that i can noty counter sink due to the board only being 6 mm thick
There’s not much you can’t cover & repair with sand/cement/lime render & I would still consider it; would save all that messing about with battens & problematic fixing. Have you seen this stuff;
http://shop.vitcas.com/vitcas-heat-resistant-plaster-16-p.asp

Hi
Thanks for that. I am going to give it a go at the weekend and have bought some Ceramix TC to stick the board on with which will withstand tempretures upto 1250 0c

thanks

im with richard c on this one sand and cement all the way we did some a few months back and had a special cement cnt remember the technical name for it though sorry but we just called it fire proof cement haha primative i know but then again im a primative bloke haha :LOL:

Hi
I am going to give it a go at the weekend and have bought some Ceramix TC to stick the board on with which will withstand tempretures upto 1250 0c
Personally I think your making a mistake relying purely on an adhesive bond, especially if the brick structure your bonding to is in any way suspect. With the huge temperature differential & all that expansion & contraction involved I think will fall off in the not too distant future; but your decision. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back