economy 7 meter wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone advise? We were fitted with economy 7 heaters back in 2007 & Scottish Power came & fitted the meter accordingly. Since then my bills have been astronomical. We asked an electrician friend & he said the tails (wires) hadn't been fitted to an economy 7 meter so we have been paying for 3 years at flat rate. Should we have 2 meters for economy 7 :?: View media item 22255

Sponsored Links
you don't have a timed meter / regular eco-7 set up there, so I hope you have timers on your storage heaters?

what heaters do you have?

'cathold': it's no longer necessary to have the old-fashioned 2-meter method for E7 heating. Modern meters are a dual-tariff type and they switch over to the (so-called) cheap rate at the appropriate time.

Sadly, there's no such thing as a 'cheap rate' these days, whatever the time of day or night. Electric heating has always been the most dear form of heating. It's likely that you have 12 -15kW of storage heater load, multiply that hourly rate by 7 hours and then by the 90 days of a 'quarter' , then you'll see that the supplier's bill is likely to be greedy but accurate.......

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
'cathold': it's no longer necessary to have the old-fashioned 2-meter method for E7 heating. Modern meters are a dual-tariff type and they switch over to the (so-called) cheap rate at the appropriate time.

that's why I asked whether the heaters hav a timer ( or maybe there's a second board fed by a contactor/timer inside etc.. )..

I wasn't aware of your post, Coljack, at the time of my post.

Lucia.

How many heaters do you have and (if you know) what's the watts?

How many kWh do you use at the day and night rates in a year? (this will be on your bills)

You should expect to use 3,000 to 5,000 kWh at the day rate and 500 to 1,000 kWh per kW of storage heaters at the night rate.

Thank you for the replies. We do not have timers on the storage heaters.We have 4 dimplex . Info says automatic combination storage heaters. Info says input rating 2.55kw output 1.45 kw. The charge acceptance (7hr) is 17.85kw. This is all gobbledegook to me!

We do not have timers on the storage heaters
That is the problem. Without a timer, they will be on pretty much all of the time, using far more electricity than they should. Worse, a lot of that electricity will be on the daytime rate, which will cost significantly more than the night rate.

If the heaters are combination ones, they will have additional heating elements in them for 'top up' use in the daytime. These shouldn't be needed very often, or at all. I

Can you post a picture of the fuseboxes/consumer units as well?

Thank you for the replies. We do not have timers on the storage heaters.We have 4 dimplex . Info says automatic combination storage heaters. Info says input rating 2.55kw output 1.45 kw. The charge acceptance (7hr) is 17.85kw. This is all gobbledegook to me!

I'd expect your electricity bill to average at least £100 a month over the year, maybe as much as £140 a month. More in the winter and less in the summer.

You say your bills are "astronomical". How much is that?

Hi there, i have the same problem, i have the same economy 7 meter installed, do i just need to find storage heaters with timers or is there something i can do at the board, ie a timer.

I only have 3 heaters and they are from the same board, hope this helps, any help would be appreciated,

Regards

That does not look like a dual tarriff meter to me.

When you read the meter/have it read, do you obtain two readings by pressing a button? Does your bill show two readings?

You would be best having an economy 7 meter installing, which will be free if join a economy 7 tarriff.

You are currently using standard rate lecky to heat the heaters, which will be costly - especially if your leaving them on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back