Parking sensor fault warning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am wondering if any good person out there can help please. I have a 55 plate Audi A4 which has just given an audible parking sensor fault alarm. Now I have no sensors.... :( .

Where should I start looking for the fault. The handbook ??? just says get it rectified. There has been no damage to the rear bumper as far as I know, her indoors says that she hasn't knocked it and there is no evidence of damage. Hmmmm now she tells me she had the same warning on Saturday when she last used it. :rolleyes: :mad:

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have you had any work (service) done on it recently.

Some diagnostics (scanner) tools allow you to access VAG ECUs at a very low level (ie instead of getting nice sensible "english" prompts you can set and clear hexadecimal values in the ECU memory locations).

Sounds like someone may have told the ECU there's parking sensor installed and it flags a fault because it's not getting a signal.

HTH

Thanks for getting back, I have had no recent service done and no body has plugged anything into it. When you select reverse you get the usual short beep and then this long beep occurs just after. The reversing lights come on as normal.

When you select reverse you get the usual short beep and then this long beep occurs just after. The reversing lights come on as normal.

Never been in an Audi that beeped when revesre was selected unless there were parking sensors installed.

Have you had the car since new - if not is it possible that the rear bumper has been replaced and the parking sensors removed / tied up underneath and something has happened to the wiring (you might also want to check the wiring loom at the rear light clusters for "interference" in case it's an aftermarket system)?

Other than I'm out of ideas and can only suggest you try one of the VAG forums, sorry.

Sponsored Links
Hi again pickup, I think you have missed something in what I originally said. The car is fitted with sensors and now they dont work but the fault warning comes on, sorry if I did not make this clear. Regards.

This probably will be of no help whatsoever, but I have exactly the same problem with a Nissan.
There are 4 sensors, you get the initial beep and then the system rapidly beeps afterwards. However, putting a hand over each sensor in turn causes the final continuous beep before collision - indicating that the sensors are working.
The 4 sensors plug into a 'control module', which also has an audible sounder plugged into it.
A new control module sorted me out!
Beep beep
Roadrunner John :)

water ingress is quite common on some vws and seats, the last seat alhambra i had trouble with had a split rear washer tube in the passenger footwell, this led to the brain of the parking sesors being waterlogged as it was positioned under the passenger seat.
worth checking where the brain is and seeing if any water has got in to it

Sorry,

when you said "now I have no sensors..." I took it to mean that you literally didn't have any sensors not that the sensors had stopped working.

As per the other posts only thing you can do is check the wiring / sensors for any visible damage.

It's sometimes worth removing the relevant fuse for a couple of minutes (ignition off when removing / refitting the fuse, on when it's removed) , failing that ask someone with a scanner to check it.

sounds like it could either be a break in the wires?
or a couple of faulty sensors iirc they click when working properly(you have to feel them).
but as said try running vag-com and this will tell you exactly what the fault could be.

Hi Gregers,

Looked at the VAG COM site and this does not report on the parking aid... :( cheers anyway.

VAG COM is shorthand for VAG diagnostics software (other diagnostics testers are available etc etc).

"Running VAG COM" usually translates as plug your car into the VAG diagnostics sytem and see what it reports.

Hope this helps

to get the fault codes read at a stealers will ost you an arm and leg,why not join an audi forum and ask if theres anyone near you who would kindly do a scan for a few beer tokens.

You'll find someone local on there with vag-com

Sponsored Links
Back