Power to my Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey a bit of advice needed if possible.
At present I have this huge amoured cable going to my garage via one of these old grey metal boxes and terminates in the garage at a fused outlet.
I would like to see some more protection on this circuit. would it be best to get someone to put a new 2 way box in my meter cuboard with a RCD in or should the RCD be in the garage. If RCD in garage what mcb should be inside to protect the under ground cable ( one assumes it needs some protection) Im only running 2 freezers and a light out there.
Comments apprieciated.
Cheers, Joe

Sponsored Links
What needs installing is a garage consumer unit, with two MCBs one for the socket circuit and one for the light circuit.
The max rating of these will depend on your cable and how it is routed and fixed.
The power circuit could by 32A, 20, 16 amp
The Light circuit normally 6amp

The garage CU needs to have an RCCB/RCD protection on it and that will cover the two circuits.

The SWA cable leading to garage, again will need to be protected by a MCB and the maximum rating of that, will depend on the sizes of the cores in that cable. But normally 32A.
So it likely that you protect the SWA with 32A MCB
and then have 20A MCB for sockets and 6A for lights for garage circuits

With so little in your garage it does not really warrant a whole consumer unit. You could use fuse connection unit for lights to fuse down to 3A and sockets are protected by fuse in plug. However the consumer unit does allow easy expansion.
As to RCD position the SWA does not really need protecting so either garage or house.
The main thing is logistics if it should trip. If in house would you see if it has tripped with thunder storm etc and would it be easier to reset from house. Or if you work in garage would it be a pain to have to walk to house to reset?
One of the rechargeable touches which auto come on in power cut from same supply as garage in house could give you warning of failure before you go to freezer to find it had de-frosted. So I would consider a RCD in house likely best option.
As to fuse/MCB in house again how much power do you want? If less than 13A then there are loads of options with RCD FCU, RCD Socket, RCD plug, Twin pole RCBO in small enclosure, RBCO in consumer unit, and the list goes on.
Likely it would come under Part P so likely you will need a registered electrician to do it and I am sure he will advise on best method for you.

Thanks guys, at least I now know what i should be asking for, all sounds very sensible to me.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Plan B:

No RCD protection in the house.

Small CU in the garage with:

RCBO for all sockets except the ones the freezers use.
MCB for lights.
MCB for freezer supplies - you could use FCUs instead of sockets if you're worried about having non-RCD sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back