Dodgy finish on rendered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since im learning plastering and rendering I find myself taking an interest in work people have done and around 6 months ago a relative of mine had a garden wall (old rendered brick about 20 ft long 5ft high) rendered

The first guy messed it up (he was an all round handyman and the render ended on floor!) due to inclement weather and lack of skill so they were pretty glad when they managed to get another person in who said he could sort it providing my relative hacked whatever render was left on the wall back to bricks

Anyway when I looked at it a few weeks back with renewed interest I thought the sponging up had been done a bit over zealously as there were noticeable circular marks all over it also no stop bead where the wall joined a fence I shrugged it off as me being a bit picky

Anyways theyve painted this wall now a light purple and I started chatting to said relative about the process the guy had used and he said the second guy they had in had problems with the cement going off ie it wasnt! He was going off for cups of tea etc waiting for it and my relative then mentioned that the bottom section of the wall had some imperfections which he was a little unhappy with and ask me to look to see if there was anything he could do

When I went out I was shocked as the paint had really exaggerated these hollows now it looks really quite bad along the bottom 2ft of the wall all across It is just full of pits hollows and noticeable imperfections some minute others several inches long and deep enough to stand out
also the wall itself just doesnt "look" uniformally flat im sure it bells a bit at thye bottom I didnt want to start putting a straight edge on it as a risk of looking like a real jobsworth lol

Re the hollows in my limited experience id say when he was floating up he either couldnt be bothered to fill the hollows correctly at the bottom or floated it up when it was a bit too wet and couldnt help knocking bits out where it was wettest (relative said he scratched up and did floating coat next day I thought this was a bit soon)

I would get a picture but dont want the to feel the wall is that bad but it is nowhere near what you would consider flat at the bottom

So my qeustion is assuming they wanted it (which they havent even mentioned yet lol this is more for my knowledge) would it be possible to put a mechanical key on the existing flatish wall and apply a thin coat to sort out these iprecfections or would it be easier just to use a different colour paint lol

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
thin coats of sand and cement don't really work,you could buy a tight coat poly render like hpx -hp12 and prime up with rendaid or consider a silicon /acrylic texture which when layed on thick can cover some bad work.

A coat of render onto the rendaid (or SBR: OPc :Sand Slurry) will be fine, if you can render or get someone who can

Be careful with covering over with Hibuild or similar coatings as you need the back ground to be flat enough - some of them are just basically thick paint with texture ie you are following what's there, but just deadening the contours a bit.

A Five foot high 20 foot long wall is a dream for rendering !

Sponsored Links
A coat of render onto the rendaid (or SBR: OPc :Sand Slurry) will be fine, if you can render or get someone who can

Be careful with covering over with Hibuild or similar coatings as you need the back ground to be flat enough - some of them are just basically thick paint with texture ie you are following what's there, but just deadening the contours a bit.

A Five foot high 20 foot long wall is a dream for rendering !

Thanks mate yeah the guy teaching me has basically taught me much more rendering than skimming I actually prefer it also it would have been a dream to work on your right! :D

It does look pretty bad tbh I felt a bit sorry for them as they obviously had bad luck with the first guy so ill see what I can do when the times right

I assuming rendaid sand slurry etc will act as the key and have granules etc in them also this third coat would u say keep it between 5-7mm and just treat as a normal floating coat

The rendaid does not have much body to it, but it is nice and easy to mix and trowel on, and you can stipple it with a roller , pull a brush on it to give a key.

The SBR Slurry has sand in it, which helps with a key, and a brush pulled on it will give it a texture as well.

Both will kill the suction for you, and both are messy and stick like $h** .

I would sparrowpick/scutch hammer the render first then wet it well and brush off any dust before applying.

not quite mate ,acrlic textures are floated flat,you could make up to five mill if needed on a 2mm grit size if double floated.

I hate to disagree with the above posts but if you are to put a tight coat onto an sbr slurry, as you come to float the wall you are rubbing up onto an already hard background, therefore any slightly larger aggrigate in you sand will have nowhere to go and you will and up with worse circular patterns than previusly stated. A: eml the wall and start again or b: tyrolean the bloody thing and walk away :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back