panel update

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 15 year old c&k active 5 panel which I wish to update,
I have the engineers code.
I will be updating the panel to a ADE optimaGen4 8zone.
I have taken photos of the wiring on the active 5 panel and I have been told the wiring on the optimagen4 is the same.
Could you please advise any problems I may come across

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
Ah, the good old C&K has finally seen it's day......

The wiring is similar, but not the same.

Not really a lot to say - make sure you now which pairs are zones and which are tampers, and which are power. Are you changing the bell at the same time too?

Most obvious..be very careful around 240v , always isolate.I would also update the bell enclosure too , if that is 15 years old.When you remove the mains and battery , the outside bell should ring , as it should have a backup battery, the only way to silence this is to get the ladders out, or have a 12v supply to hold off the bell.

many thanks for help. The bell box was suppled and fitted by abacus about 3 years ago and I will be keeping it. I have took in your knowledge regarding the Active 5 but I can not stop the bell box sounding when I disconect a bell wire or when I undo the bell box. I have the engineering code

Sponsored Links
I can not stop the bell box sounding when I disconect a bell wire or when I undo the bell box. I have the engineering code
That's because you have removed the 12v Hold Off sent to the 'bell' from the control panel - the Engineer code, or any code for that matter will not solve that problem - it's doing what is designed to do when the power is removed.

many thanks for you reply europlex, I can see what you are saying, and even with the tamper code I cannot stop the bell sounding.
So sorry for being so thick "but what must I do to stop the bell box alarm
sounding" I hate to be a pain but all I want to do is up date a panel

If you disconnect the 12v to the bell you need to be prepared to suffer the noise until you place 12v back onto it, or remove the cover of the bell box and disconnect the battery. Depending in the model, this may be a matter of unplugging the battery, removing a cable from a terminal, or moving a jumper.

What model bell box is it (photo?). Some have the ability to be set into engineer mode by doing a few things prior to removing the cover.

"it's doing what is designed to do when the power is removed"

A BIG hint is in the above.

Just think about it, (reconnect the battery to the 'bell' wire)

many thanks for you reply europlex, I can see what you are saying, and even with the tamper code I cannot stop the bell sounding.
So sorry for being so thick "but what must I do to stop the bell box alarm
sounding" I hate to be a pain but all I want to do is up date a panel

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

"it's doing what is designed to do when the power is removed"

A BIG hint is in the above.

Just think about it, (reconnect the battery to the 'bell' wire)
While you are working reconnect the battery to the 'bell' wire

The 12v Hold Off (Red / Black?) from panel to bell, Temp. connect to a Battery, it will not then sound - the 'Hold Off' has been replaced, get it?

Thanks to you all for sharing your knowledge with guys like me.
Success at last , cheers

The 12v Hold Off (Red / Black?) from panel to bell

Word of warning !! Not all companies use Red and Black as their power. We have come across systems wired with White and Green for power.
.... or any other combination of colours found in 4, 6, 8, 12 core etc alarm cable that might have been used, oh, don't forget the 'phone cable, mains cable or any other sort of cable that might have been used. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back