Add a switch to control a hard to reach plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some outdoor lights that are powered by an outdoor plug socket. The problem is to turn it on/off you have to get under the decking to plug/unplug it. I was wondering if you could somehow wire up a switch that could be somewhere convenient that controls this power socket. From what I can tell the plug is a spur from the mains power supply. I was thinking about adding an outdoor/waterproof switch in line with this. Is this safe/possible?

Cheers
t0mmy

Sponsored Links
Yes.

You would use a 13 amp fused spur or a 20 amp double pole switch.

Don't forget you may be able to have the switch indoors, if it's more convenient.

You could use something like this below, if you can find how the cable runs. Your spur will run from the ring final circuit onto this and then onto your outside lights.

MKK1040.JPG

If you want a weatherproof version something like this below.

MK56410.JPG

Thanks for that. Bit of a layman's question but what's the difference between a fused spur and a double pole switch. A quick google and they look the same!

Sponsored Links
A fused spur has a fuse in it. 13 amp or less.

If you used a 13 amp fused spur you would have the advantage of adding additional sockets to the existing outdoor socket.

FCU.

MKK1040.JPG

DP switch.

MKK5403.JPG

The FCU contains a fuse so you can protect the cable after it. This would be required if you were running more than one socket outlet from the spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back