Electrics for breezeblock shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there am new to this so go easy....Now im not going to do this myself as its dangerous.

I want to run a swa cable to my shed which is approx 100 meters away from my main consumer box most of the cable will be buried 2ft down in the ground.

I plan to run approx 5kw at the most. But i do plan on having a striplight or 2.

What i want to know is,
*what type of swa cable wil i need as in what core and what size mm
as id like to lay this myself minimising work for electrician ( saving me money)

*what consumer box is best for the job

all replies are greafully received.....

Sponsored Links
If I were you I'd talk to your electrician about getting the cable. 100m of 16mm² will weigh around 100kg and cost upwards of £400..

Sponsored Links
What i want to know is,
*what type of swa cable wil i need as in what core and what size mm
*what consumer box is best for the job
You have to ask your electrician those questions.

She will be the one signing declarations that say she did the work, including the design, and that it all complies with the Wiring Regulations and the Building Regulations.

You cannot go ahead, choose a cable, choose a CU, choose an earthing method, stick the cable in the ground and then expect an electrician to roll up and take responsibility for it. She won't mind at all if you dig the trench yourself, but you must agree that up front with her - in effect she has to be directing and supervising your work, she has to decide where the cable will go, she has to specify how deep the trench will be, and how the base is prepared etc.

Plus she'll be paying less for the materials than you will, so it makes economic sense to involve her from the start and you just work as her labourer.

For 100m you'd be hiring a mini digger anyway (I hope!) so it would be worth burying it rather deeper than 2 ft.

6' might be rather difficult to trench safely without shoring, but I'd suggest about 3'6" / 1m to allow depth for double-digging the garden above. 2' (with warning tape at 1') probably okay under a patio.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back