Approximate cost of a new slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get my roof re-done and I was looking for some advice about approximately how much this should cost.

I've had a few quotes which varied wildly, so I'm a bit confused about what is a reasonable price. This is the details of the job from one quote I've had:

To erect scaffolding

To remove existing slates and ridge tiles from roof and brush down all waste materials to be removed from site.

To renew any defective sarking timbers where necessary

To fit new white PVC facia boards at all facia areas

To remove existing guttering and fit new PVC deep flow gutters

To remove existing flashings at Valleys, skews and chimneys and renew using Code 5 lead.

To remove skylight at rear and fit Velux window

To cover roof area using quality grade type BS IF747 re-inforced slaters underlay felt

To re-slate roof using new Spanish Natural Slates

To fit new zinc ridges

To clear site from arising debris when contract is complete.

The house is a four bedroomed detached with four dormer windows, built around 1905.

I don't know the area of the roof but I've attached a photo of the property which is in Paisley near Glasgow.

house.jpg

I would appreciate any advice you could give me on this.

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
Obviously prices vary from area to area but if that house was in suffolk for the complete job in new slates and everything as per quotation i would charge 7500-8k.

I would ask why you are changing the existing roof covering, are the tiles / slates knackered?

Also not liking the sound of the felt he is proposing to use, sounds like he is going to use a 1F felt which is outdated and can lead to condensation problems, especially with slate roofs.

I would suggest you insist on a high quality breathable felt such as klober permo for your underlay instead.

Apart from that quotation sounds fairly professional.

Ive had a few repairs to the roof over the past few years and each roofer has told me the roof is suffering badly from what I think they called nail sickness, where the nails holding the states have corroded away.

Compared to the figure you have given my quotes are way over the top. The lowest one is £13,000 and the highest is £38,900 (both plus VAT).

Does anyone know a roofer in the Glasgow / Paisley area that does good work at a reasonable price?

If the slates are just slipping , why not get them relaid?

New spanish slate does not look as nice as what you have on there and are more prone to fracture.

And for £38,900 + vat i would expect slates made of gold.

Sponsored Links
I had thought about that but as the roof is over 100 years old, I thought if I was getting it done, I would be as well to get new slates.

I take it from your name your author name, you are a roofer?

If so, do you have any advice on what would be a reasonable price for this job?

Thanks

Regencyrofingipswich, sorry I've just realised you replied earlier with your idea on a price.

I am very reasonable with my rates so perhaps i am a little under what other people may charge (work from home, no vat registration and no employees)

why not get a quote for a major overhaul which will cut the cost and get agarantee they should b 5 years or more .it all depends on state of roof

I had two quotes, one at £13,000 and one at £15,450 (both plus VAT), then I had others coming in at £24,000, £27,000 up to £38,000, so I was starting to think that the lower prices were too low to be a proper quote and it would be a cowboy job.

From the replies I've had so far, it looks as if these quotes are in line with a reasonable price and the others are just trying to rip customers off.

A thousand or two difference between quotes I can understand, but £10- £20,000 is just crazy.

I suppose I'll just have to keep trying a few more until I get three or four reasonable quotes that I can make a more informed decision on.

Any recommendations on roofers in my area would be welcome.

Thanks

A lot depends upom the slate used.. for example a 150sqmtr of Westmoreland random would be around £24.500 +Vat for slates alone.
A half decent spainish.. around £3600.00

Is there any chance of another picture,maybe from the dormer window so we can see the slate better.. also and approx square metreage of the roof?

All the quotes I've had apart from the £38,900 one was for Spanish slate. The £38,900 quote was for Welsh slate, so I suppose that accounts for some of the price difference.

I'll take a few new photos of the house and measure the size of the house at ground level if that helps.

the Spanish slate will be lots cheaper than the Welsh (which is becoming very hard to get..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back