Socket Spur for a power source.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a light in my undestaird cupboard.

I know you can spur off a socket to create another socket, can you spur off a socket for a power source to a light pendant?

Ant

Sponsored Links
you can, take a 2,5mm cable to a switched fused spur with a 3 amp fuse in it and the 1.0mm or 1.5mm cable upto the pendant

wouldnt you want a fused spur rather than a switched one, ruling out the chances of someone deciding to switch it off?

Sponsored Links
doh all clear now. got two conversations going on about all sorts of electrical work in the pipeworks.

was about to do this task today and realised the the plug I want to spur of to get a power source for my light is already a spur of another plug from upstairs. can i use the original plug I was going to use still for a source?

You are not supposed to spur off an unfused spur. (It was allowed under 15th Ed regs to supply 2 single sockets on a spur, from 16th Ed you were only allowed one single or one double.)

You could put a 13A fused connection unit before the existing socket, and then a 3A FCU for the light.

i.e. SKT ON RING -----SPUR----FCU13A------SKT-------FCU3A-----LIGHT

If the unfused spur supplies one single socket which you know is unlikely to be heavily loaded, then you could spur on to a FCU for the light, but I would put the FCU immediately adjacent to that socket so it's obvious it's an unconventional circuit. The danger is that someone will think the middle socket is actually on the ring because it has 2 cables, and try to run a further spur from it.

Don't spur off the spur if you know the socket is likely to be heavily loaded eg washing machine, although 1 x lightbulb shouldn't make much of a difference in the grander scheme of things.

If under the stairs is anything you might want to get to in a power cut (torch/lantern/candles...), put an emergency light in there and fix the FCU on upside down.

So a power cut, or someone opening the door and turning the FCU off, will make the light come on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back