central heating operates on its own!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I HAVE AN IDEAL LXFF 260 (I BELIEVE) CLASSIC BOILER. IN THE LAST WEEK OR SO IT OPERATES BOTH H/W AND C/H OUT OF THE PREPROGRAMMED TIMES I THOUGHT IT MAYBE THE PROGRAMMER ITSELF BUT AFTER INSTALLING A NEW ONE IT WASN'T. WHEN OPERATING OUTSIDE THE PROGRAMMED TIMES IT ALSO SEEMS TO OVERIDE THE ROOMSTAT AND CALLS FOR MORE HEAT!
COULD THIS BE THE PCB AT FAULT?
CAN ANYONE HELP
THANKS
RUS1SELL

Sponsored Links
where is the boiler installed as i had this problem a while back where it was installed in the loft with a frost stat which was set high and kept calling the boiler on in the evening when temp dropped..
Is this a new boiler or has this problem just started?

Sponsored Links
where is the boiler installed as i had this problem a while back where it was installed in the loft with a frost stat which was set high and kept calling the boiler on in the evening when temp dropped..
THIS HAS JUST STARTED THE BOILER IS ABOUT 6 YEARS OLD

SORRY ITS IN THE KITCHEN

you'll need to do some checking with a multi meter on the sw/l to the boiler etc from the mot valves.

Hi Stem,

Thank you for your previous information. My boiler an Ideal Classic FF260 is located in my kitchen. The hot water cyclinder is upstairs in the bathroom, with the main pump, junction box and a combination of two, two port valves and the main wiring junction box for the heating system. My bolier has been firing even though the room stat is off.

So I replaced it with an up to date one on recommendation by a plumber. This did not elimate the problem- i set the new Room Stat to zero, switched on the timer to constant and within seconds the boiler fired up as did the pump etc upstairs. Further to this I disconnected the new stat kept the wires seperated, switched on the power and within seconds the boiler kicked in.

Back in Aug 2012 i replaced one of the two port valves because i had the hotwater on its programme and every time the hotwater came on the heating did as well. Again spoke to a plumber and this was recommended and it sorted the problem.

So in short any idea why the boiler would run whilst the Stat is on zero. The manufacture Ideal have said it is down to the Boiler being "TOLD" to switch.

The timer is working fine switch it off and the boiler shuts off.

It'll most likely be the CH zone valve, either seized or the end switch stuck closed. You need a meter to check it out properly. There other possibitities, but start at the valve. The brown wire should not be live when room stat and timer are off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back