oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an existing freestanding cooker with a separate oven and hob.The cooker has a rating of 11Kw and is wired into a radial circuit,using 6mm cable,to the CU where it is protected by a 30amp re-wirable fuse.It is controlled by a cooker control point incorporating a socket which is half way up the kitchen wall. There is no spare fuseway at the CU.The new oven has a rating of 5.2Kw,the hob is 6Kw. Manufacturers instructions say the fuse rating for both is 30amp.I want to supply both from the existing supply. I was thinking of using a 30amp joint box in place of the existing control point. Then bringing one cable from it to the oven via a 32amp dual pole switch at work top level and a further cable to the hob,also via it`s own switch. The appliances are just about two metres apart. As the total power usage of the two appliances are almost exactly the same as the existing cooker I am trying to see any reason why I should not do this. Any comments on why this would be unsafe or unsound would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do a search here for words like oven, hob, cooker - this question has come up countless times....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back