DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Mason mitre on worktop by handsaw

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cardiy

from United Kingdom

Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 155
Location: London,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1 time

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote

How easy is it to cut a masons mitre on a worktop by handsaw,what size handsaw how many teeth and how to set up the joint thanks.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
speed

from United Kingdom

Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Posts: 81
Location: Sheffield,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 13 times

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote

use a router and jig,
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Posts: 13759
Location: Surrey,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 891 times

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote

cardiy wrote:
How easy is it to cut a masons mitre on a worktop by handsaw,what size handsaw how many teeth and how to set up the joint thanks.


its very easy if
you have a perfect arc when cutting
are able to cut 100% strait
and can do it without chipping

there is possiby 3 or 4 people in the world that could make a living cutting by hand icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

and i definatly aint one icon_wink.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
gregers

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 5392
Location: Sussex,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 402 times

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote

big-all wrote:
cardiy wrote:
How easy is it to cut a masons mitre on a worktop by handsaw,what size handsaw how many teeth and how to set up the joint thanks.


its very easy if
you have a perfect arc when cutting
are able to cut 100% strait
and can do it without chipping

there is possiby 3 or 4 people in the world that could make a living cutting by hand icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

and i definatly aint one icon_wink.gif



icon_lol.gif i can,

only thing is i do not do the arc, i do a straight mitre using my combination square,normall 22"handsaw,poly glue,biscuits and colorfill jobs a gooden. icon_biggrin.gif
Back to top
The following user says thank you to gregers for this useful post:
cardiy (15 May 2010)
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Posts: 13759
Location: Surrey,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 891 times

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote

wheres the other2 then icon_cool.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
cardiy

from United Kingdom

Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 155
Location: London,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1 time

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote

gregers wrote:
big-all wrote:
cardiy wrote:
How easy is it to cut a masons mitre on a worktop by handsaw,what size handsaw how many teeth and how to set up the joint thanks.


its very easy if
you have a perfect arc when cutting
are able to cut 100% strait
and can do it without chipping

there is possiby 3 or 4 people in the world that could make a living cutting by hand icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

and i definatly aint one icon_wink.gif



icon_lol.gif i can,

only thing is i do not do the arc, i do a straight mitre using my combination square,normall 22"handsaw,poly glue,biscuits and colorfill jobs a gooden. icon_biggrin.gif
Gregers how much do you measure in, do you get much chipping of the laminate,has the saw got lots ot teeth per inch thankyou.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
gregers

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 5392
Location: Sussex,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 402 times

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote

i normally do it at 20mm in,make sure its a new/fairly new saw.just a normal blue handled one.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Posts: 13759
Location: Surrey,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 891 times

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote

forget it cardiy its a near impossible task for an amature
both surface must be 100% strait and square otherwisise you will get gaps and/or the worktop will rise when you tighten the bolts

i dont think greggers ment masons mitres because that tripples the difficulty

you need to cut 2 parralel cuts that havent deviated and stop then cut 2 x45 degree angles and they all match up exactly icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

suggest you practice on 18mm mdf or old worktops first
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
chippy5

from United Kingdom

Joined: 17 May 2010
Posts: 49
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 11 times

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote

As a professional carpenter and kitchen fitter i'd say dont even go there.
Back to top
The following user says thank you to chippy5 for this useful post:
cardiy (17 May 2010)
 Alert Moderators
cardiy

from United Kingdom

Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 155
Location: London,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1 time

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote

chippy5 wrote:
As a professional carpenter and kitchen fitter i'd say dont even go there.
So are you saying even yourself would not be able to do it by hand saw?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
gregers

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 5392
Location: Sussex,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 402 times

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote

right ive just loaded up 2 piccys of my worktop,i hope there is enough detail to give you a good idea of what can be achieved by using a hand saw,biscuits,poly glue,colorfil and maybe a block plane.

this was done approx 6 years ago and its 30mm worktop.

let me know what you think of the pics,if there crud ill try and upload from my digi camara rather then my c.rappy phone.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Posts: 13759
Location: Surrey,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 891 times

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote

brilliant job a real skill icon_wink.gif

i as a bench joiner would'nt even attempt a hand cut but then i do have lovley hitachi router lol icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
gregers

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 5392
Location: Sussex,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 402 times

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote

like anything the more you do the better(hopefully)you become,personally as i do not have a jig,as said i do these by hand.
ive been offered the loan of various jigs,and to be honest they scare the pants off of me,coz i aint got a scooby on how to use them,

IS IT STRANGE HOW THE MIND WORKS icon_wink.gif

im assuming the pics are ok then?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
big-all

from United Kingdom

Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Posts: 13759
Location: Surrey,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 891 times

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote

they are a bit misty but i do fully believe you and asking for clearer pictures would be disrespecting your word [that i fully trust icon_wink.gif ]
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
cardiy

from United Kingdom

Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 155
Location: London,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1 time

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote

gregers wrote:
right ive just loaded up 2 piccys of my worktop,i hope there is enough detail to give you a good idea of what can be achieved by using a hand saw,biscuits,poly glue,colorfil and maybe a block plane.

this was done approx 6 years ago and its 30mm worktop.

let me know what you think of the pics,if there crud ill try and upload from my digi camara rather then my c.rappy phone.
Where are the pics?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
Worktops - Mitre / Butt / Mason Mitre? 4 1060 Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:36 pm
Mason's Mitre 6 240 Mon May 21, 2012 7:29 pm
Mason mitreing (??) worktops 19 9780 Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:53 am
Worktop Mitre 2 3640 Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:16 pm
Worktop joining, why not mitre? 9 6720 Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:47 pm


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.