removing olive issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was changing a radiator valve over weekend. i removed the original olive, but couldnt fit the new olive and nut on properly. whats happened is the original olive had made a indent around the pipe, probably from being on so tight...
what can i do?? i dont have enough play in the pipe to cut it back and put a new olive on,.

Sponsored Links
If it has crushed the pipe you either need to cut it back or extend it or leave the original nut and olive in place I'm afraid.

Original olive back on and apply a couple of wraps of ptfe tape around the olive.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Word of advice. When replacing rad valves leave the old olive and nut in place, most likely they will be fine. You will do more harm taking it off. As suggested a few wraps of PTFE round the olive and tighten. If you still have a problem, cut the pipe down further and use a soldered coupler fitting to raise the pipe up to the new rad valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back