Condensation and trickle vents!

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
Been to report on a job today that was fitted in feb 2010, 3 pvc windows were done and ever since then condensation has been dripping off the windows, pooling on the windowboard and running down the walls. The policy holder says the walls are usually wet through although toady being mostly sunny they were dry, this has happened since the windows were fitted, i did notice that no trickle vents were fitted on any of the windows, the customers copy of the contract has had a line put through trickle vents, it was my understanding that the part L regs said you must fit them on a new installation, regardles if they weren't there to start with, is this correct?

They have issued a FENSA cert and the windows are pilkington K, has saftey glass and fire escape hinges, just no trickle vents??? Would they really make a difference though, the customer says she has the top light open 2" at night so id of thought thats plenty of ventilation.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Im currently writing a report to the insurers as to the problem and hopeful resolution. This was an install in feb 2010 and the fitting company has since gone bust, the company i work for have been asked by the insurance company on the 10 year guarantee to investigate and put it right, i noticed no trickle vents and straight away thought FENSA and part L regs.

I'll recommend they have them retro fitted but will they actually make a difference? My answer to the P/H was that she has made her problem worse by fitting a too efficient DG window, i know its hard to believe but it could be the case...............couldn't it?

Sponsored Links
My answer to the P/H was that she has made her problem worse by fitting a too efficient DG window, i know its hard to believe but it could be the case...............couldn't it?
Its possible, but trickle vents are very unlikely not to help reduce the condensation.

did they have wet washing hanging on the radiators, or did they take it off before you arrived?

what was the bathroom like?

they told you a wet wall turned dry in just one sunny day?

drive past another day and see how many windows are open

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses[/QUOTE]

Didn't see any clothes hanging on rads, but P/H says its there when they wake up!

Bathroom, didnt investigate as the P/H says they wake up and its already there!

Yep, the wet wall they said they get has just had a fresh coat of emulsion on it to cover the mould! She said she couldn't stand the sight of the black.

Driving past isnt an option as its 3 hrs away from me.

An amendment was issued to the 2006 edition of Part F as follows;

Delete paragraph 3.4 and replace with the
following:

‘3.4 Where the original windows were fitted
with trickle ventilators the replacement
windows should include them and they
should be sized as set-out in paragraph

3.6. It would be good practice to fit trickle
ventilators (or equivalent), with accessible
controls, in all replacement windows to help
with control of condensation and improve
indoor air quality.’

I read that that to mean you dont need them if they wern't fitted before.

Is there a new version due out then :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back