Well whoopeedoo, job lost and I didn't even get to quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A lady I who I have done work for for years, particlarly servicing the gas fire and back boiler year in year out, has now informed me she is have a new condensation boiler fitted in June, I lost the job without even getting a chance to quote, let me guess who will be doing the work, answers on a postage stamp, now of course when it's -8 on a sunday morning and it needs the pressure topping up, and the wonderful hit and run tax funded firm are nowhere to be seen because they are 50 miles away, and I charge £95.00 call out and £55.00 per hour, I will be accused of ripping her off, of course it was only a 2 minute job so I should have said a fiver, yea right, dont think I am going to be that interested.

Sponsored Links
No such thing as loyalty any more, mate. :mad:

She'll wan't you back when it all goes 'Threepenny bits' up.
John :)

its happened to me before now, but in fairness ive won jobs by being in the right place at the right time when i know theyve had someone else doing their regular work. dont let it get to you, as said above, theres no such thing as loyalty anymore. this is why noone should feel guilty about the odd sweety.

Sponsored Links
Can't blame the old lady, it's hard to compete with free :evil: Can blame the politicians that think your tax money should be doled out to hand-picked companies. Got a new government now, tell them what you think of this cock-eyed money-wasting scheme since I've heard they need to save a few pennies :confused:

our firm just took the job off another local firm looking after an office block. the other firm lost it basically because they couldnt get out to a noisey ballcock that day.till the day we cant get out to them for some reason, im sure another company will fill our boots.in all, theres no loyalty anymore.afraid its the way things are these days.

The last time I went about 3 months ago, it was just a stuck pump, 20 minutes to get there and 20 minutes back, I never charged her, I said to save her money for a new pump in a while, she has left a message on my answephone today telling me she wont need the pump doing now, jump for joy :evil:

loyalty is is for dogs

business is business , if a better deal comes along take it.

cant have it both ways

The last time I went about 3 months ago, it was just a stuck pump, 20 minutes to get there and 20 minutes back, I never charged her, I said to save her money for a new pump in a while, she has left a message on my answephone today telling me she wont need the pump doing now, jump for joy :evil:

well you should have changed it, no one ever appreciates a good turn enough to remember it for any length of time, let alone repay it sucks dont it ?

:)

Wheres me violin

well you should have changed it, no one ever appreciates a good turn enough to remember it for any length of time, let alone repay it sucks don't it ?

:)

When we get called out, we fix the job and charge. That's what the customer wants.

Once you have left .......they forget the good deed that you have done.

We are all in business at the end of the day and have bills to pay.

If you go to a job and don't charge for a small job hoping to get a larger one in the future......you will be recommended for not charging and being a nice bloke.

Being a nice bloke doesn't pay bills.

Andy

5.30pm, pump at back of airing cupboard with dodgy festered slotted pump valves, wasn't going to happen, turned the shaft and off it went and stayed working, too late in the day and merchants closed, but yea I should have charged.

5.30pm, pump at back of airing cupboard with dodgy festered slotted pump valves, wasn't going to happen, turned the shaft and off it went and stayed working, too late in the day and merchants closed, but yea I should have charged.

Keep telling ya, you'll never make good money all the time you park the Horse out front ;)

B&Q are open until 8 or 9 pm :LOL: we use them evenings and weekends for stuff, then come monday morning we go to City plumbing buy the same item only half the price and take it back to B&Q they refund no problem, everyone is happy!

Thanks for the B&Q tip. If I do a quick fix call that may or may not work in the medium term I charge a nominal fee, and say that if it fails again soon I'l knock that off the bill for replacment.

Did it last week with a stuck three port. Eased it and it seemed to be working OK, but it went again this week so I replaced it, and the £30 cash I took last week for the quick fix a) comes off his bill b) makes sure he came back to me for the main job.

He was happy, I get paid.

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back