valiant combi lost pressure, help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My valiant ecotec 831 boiler is only a few months old, need pressure topup everyday! My plumber hasn't a clue what is the cause! A valiant engineer has come and checked and he said the boiler is fine, suggesting that there is a leak in the system. I have done a pressure test to the boiler and noticed that while the boiler and the central heating are isolated 20 hours , the boiler itself dropped by .6bar. Does that mean the leaks is in the boiler itself not in the system.

I have checked the relief pipe and the bottom of the boiler, didn't see any leaks there. I have also checked the valves of all the radiators, no sign of leaks there either. I have checked all the ceiling, can't see any wet patches anywhere. Someone suggested that might suggested a fault in the heat exchanger, but how can I tell if this is the case?

In fact, the pressure problem started right after the installation. At the beginning, we have to top up the pressure like every week. After a few weeks, the problem disappeared, it's working beautifully for 3 months or so until a month or so ago, it needed topping up everyday!

Please, I badly need some advice here; I am afraid neither my plumber nor the valiant engineer are able to solve this mystery eventhough the boiler is newly stalled and is under manufacturer guarantee.

Dot :mad:

Sponsored Links
Did you ensure the boiler was stone cold at the start of your pressure test and was not operated for the 20 hours?

Sponsored Links
I found the leak! At long last, it is in one of the newly installed pipe for my new radiators. I only found out when we pulled the tumble dryer out and saw a big puddle of water. The leak explains the big drop of boiler pressure.

Is it common that new pipes leak? Or is it an indication of bad workmanship? I am now worried that a new leak will develop somewhere else after this leak is fixed. Can anyone give me some advice what I can do to avoid me going through the same nightmare again? I have been invesgating this leak for a few months!

Desparato

If it was the actual pipe leaking I would think it's faulty materials, If however it's a joint that failed it would be down to poor workmanship but any plumber worth his salt would have found this quite easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back