installing 9 outside 240v lights - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would like to install 9 outside lights, they will have 21W low energy bulbs, dotted around the garden. Electrician has put a junction box outside on the patio (he is doing quite a bit of other work as we are having an extension). What i need to know is can i wite the lights up myself to the junction box. Also what cable to i need, can i use 'Pond cable' 3 core, inside plastic tubing?

thanks

Sponsored Links
just cost really, we have hit our budget. il ask him see what he says.
regarding the law - is it ok to put it in trunking?

It depends - there are quite a few variables.

There are no laws which apply to you up there, but you should still do it according to the wiring regs.

Assuming you get on with the guy, just ask his advice - he's on site and can see the route you plan etc., can't see him charging you much to look over it when he stops for a fag/cuppa.

Sponsored Links
NO YOU CANNOT USE FLEX INSIDE TUBE, TRUNKING OR PLASTIC CONDUIT OTHERWISE.

You should run SWA (steel wire armoured) cable around the garden, buried 18 inches deep, or fixed to a sturdy fence or wall. At each place you want a light provide a junction box to loop the SWA in and out of, and use flex there from the junction box to the light.

The SWA will be the biggest outlay, followed by the junction boxes and glands.

Plus the time to make off 18 SWA glands.
He wants to do it himself. I wouldn't like to think of the labour cost for that :LOL: Gotta be a full days work!

Just thinking, would there be any fewer glands if, say, 3 central boxes were used and do a "star" wiring system to the lights. Too late to work it out now :LOL:

For some reason my profile says i live in scotland, i'm based in Birmingham.

The reason is that's what you "chose" as your location when you registered. It's the first location on the list, so if you don't bother to change it.... :confused:

Anyway - the Building Regulations do apply and this work is notifiable. If your electrician is self-certifying the rest of the work and you DIY the garden lights there'll be a discrepancy between your installation and what is certificated.

This may or may not cause you problems in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back