New electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm about to fit new kitchen and replacing the gas oven with an electric one. There is already a dedicated circuit for the cooker with a 30A MCB in the consumer unit leading to a CCU (with an integrated socket) which in turn feeds the cooker connection unit which has never been used.

My question is that the oven specs state that the fuse must be Min: 15A Max: 20A so what are my options?

Do I:
1- replace the MCB in consumer unit with a 20A one and replace the cooker control unit with one that has no built in socket?

2- what would I need to do to keep the current cooker control unit with built in socket? As at the moment this socket powers my microwave.

Any help enlightening me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd just replace the MCB with a 20A model. I don't see why you couldn't leave the CCU and socket in place and still use this for the microwave :)

The fact the oven states minimum 15A fuse means that the oven won't draw more than 15A from the circuit, so by fitting a 20A MCB even at the ovens maximum current drain you'll still have 5A spare for the microwave. And a 20A MCB won't fail at 20A anyway :D

As imroberts says you could just leave the cooker control unit as it is with a 20A breaker. This would be safe but if the oven and socket were both at full load at once then (assuming the oven draws 15A) you may trip the MCB.

Another option would be to leave the 32A mcb in the consumer unit and fit a MCB in a suitable enclosure (e.g. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5916S.html in http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5502.html ) between the control unit and the oven (hidden in an adjoining cupboard). This would mean that the socket and oven could both be used at full power without tripping anything.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies guys, will probably just swap the mcb with a 20A and leave the cooker control unit as is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back