Leaking Immersion Heater + Boiler showing F.28 (Pictures!!!)

mo2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have included pictures, the boiler tank is leaking from where the immersion heater is connected and so the boiler (Vailant ecomax ???) has shut off. How would I/someone fix this, and is this DIYable? It is leaking from underneath - and appears to be coming from the join with the nut to the silver body of the heater. Is it a simple case of tightening with an immersion spanner. It was installed 6 years ago.

If and more info is required let me know, thanks.

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=5650

Sponsored Links
I can't see where the leak is from these pics (maybe I need my eyes tested).
What makes you think the boiler not working and the immersion heater leaking are related?

They happened at the same time? I thought maybe a loss of pressure or something would cause it to happen. I have the boiler manual so I'm going to see if I can go and understand why it's shut off. Also, the water isn't visible on the pics, but it's falling from the underside of the join to where the damp patch and towel are on the floor. I'll see if I can get a better picture.

The fault on the boiler screen in actually F.28 - Boiler goes to lock out:

No gas
Insufficient gas
Incorrect gas valve adjustment
Electrode defective
Ignition lead defect
Electronic igniter defective
Check air inlet duct

Which is surprising - 2 problems in one I have tried starting using the button and it went on for a little while. I'll see if I can run through some troubleshooting type procedures in the manual. Is it something to do with having turned the heating off on its scheduled on time? (probably not, but...)

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is failing to light (or going out) you will need a RGI.
Turning the CH off is unlikely to cause the boiler to show a fault.

Ah, fair enough. On fixing the leak, is it a matter of tightening it or will it be more complicated? Will get someone do it though by the looks of it then just want to know.

Tightening to solve depends on age and existing tightness, more likely to need draining, removing and new washer. Agree a price with whoever you call out before they do any work. A decent RGI should be able to solve boiler and immersion problems.

If you had a large stilson type of wrench you could "feel" the tightness of the immersion heater element as a DIY task.

However, if you did try that isolate all electrical supplies to the area first.

If the washer and thread is coated with silicone before assembly then they dont need much tightness to seal. But usually this is not done and then could need a lot of torque to seal.

Tony

Agile";p="1623600 said:
If you had a large stilson type of wrench you could "feel" the tightness of the immersion heater element as a DIY task.

We were called out to a job last week where the customer had a slight leak on their immersion, they tried to tighten up their immersion with a very large stilson. They turned it so hard that the cylinder caved in. :LOL:
Water everywhere.
:LOL: New tank need. :LOL:

Andy

Quote. It is leaking from underneath - and appears to be coming from the join with the nut to the silver body of the heater. End Quote

If this is the cast turn off the power to the immersion heater and dont use as behind the silver cover are live electrics. Once you have switched off power and removed the fuze to be safe, you can remove the siver cover and confirm if it is in there. Normally where themostat goes in.

Gaz

Tony

Tears before bedtime with that one methinks :confused:

Edit: sorry andy didn't get to your post before replying, could seen it happen before tony though. ;)

Yeah, it's done up really tight - and the heater is double pole isolated and always has been so no problems there. Draining and a new washer it is. :D

I only suggested that he felt the tightness.

One of the best ways to do that is to try to unscrew the element first.

Doing ANYTHING to an imersion element is always a risky job and I always warn customers that we only do it at their own risk.

Tony

I know how we love pictures on this site, so here are some pictures of the internals of the boiler that has broken down. It had been untouched for 6 years. The guy who took it apart is replacing two parts, 'servicing' it and fixing the leak for £185 - reasonable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back