Single Oven - wire onto ring main or dedicated circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am about to replace a gas range cooker with a single electric oven and a gas hob.

Kitchen is fed with its own dedicated ring main, on a 32A breaker, from the Consumer Unit. Various people I have spoken with suggest I can wire a single electric oven into the kitchen ring main.

The oven is rated at 3500W, so was wondering if this is going to be OK?

Also, previous owners didn't fit isolating switches above the worktops for any of the appliances, so this is being rectified. What isolation switch do I use for the oven - 20A? 13A will be fine for gas hob ignition, extractor, fridge etc..

Sponsored Links
What do the manufacturers instruction suggest is the way to install it, it's output means it needs over 15Amps, so if it's not fitted with a plug top. I would install a separate circuit with a 45A DP cooker control switch.
I would also install a 6mm cable, so if in the future you decided to upgrade to a higher powered cooker, the circuit and isolator are already in place.

3500W is unusual for a single oven sold into the UK market (because in the UK market it is handy to connect with a 13A plug, which supports about 3100W, depending on voltage).

Does it have an additional grill or something? Or is it designed for another country? Either way, it needs a radial, and I agree, if you're going to the trouble of running one, you may as well provide a circuit that can support a full electric cooker in future.

Assuming, of course, you haven't already got a separate electric cooker circuit?

Its a Bosch oven and has the following ratings:

Energy consumption hot air (kWh) 0.79
Energy consumption conventional (kWh) 0.89
Total connected loading (W) 3500
IEC plug in electrical cable Yes
Cable length (in cm) 1.5

Don't know if this info makes any difference?

We don't have a separate cooker circuit, and running one is going to be a pain in the backside.

Sponsored Links
Total connected loading (W) 3500
So more than 13A, which means you cannot plug it in, nor can you connect it to an FCU on the socket circuit.

In its native land, and indeed in most, if not all, of continental Europe, sockets are rated at 16A.

We don't have a separate cooker circuit, and running one is going to be a pain in the backside.
Be that as it may...... :confused:

unfortunately, you will get conflicting answers to this question.

Some will say that it can, some will say it can't.
That doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is wrong, its just that its possible to interpret the regs in different ways.

If it were a fixed load that constantly pulled 3500W, then sheddy is right, you can't put a plug on it.

As it is a variable load, its acceptable to 'diversify' the load and put a plug on.

There is also guidance to say something like fixed loads over 2kW should be supplied from their own dedicated radial.

How much hassle would it really be to put a new cooker feed in?

If it were me and i used the cooker a lot, then i would rather see it fed seperately, but thats just me.

clear as mud, eh? :( ;)

Thanks for the input - sparky being engaged as we speak to put in a separate feed ... :D

Better to be safe than sorry - don't want to be able to cook food on the hotspot on the wall/floor ...

Thanks for the input - sparky being engaged as we speak to put in a separate feed

..For this work you should receive from your Electrician ...
1. An Electrical Installation Certificate.
2. Arrangements for Building Control Notification ....commonly known
as Part P notification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back