Kill ivy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ivy every where in my garden :cry: my nextdoor neighbour and I have decided enough is enough but between the two of us we can not find the root ! the ivy is all over the back of our houses and even coming in my window, can I inject something in in the plant so the whole thing will die ? Please help :D

Sponsored Links
cut through every stem you can find. The bits that stay green have got a root, so follow them back and cut again.

if you keep pulling up the dead bits it will become easier to see what you are doing.

Cut all the stems that come out of the ground. Now is the long bit, you normally have to wait one year to pull it off your wall/brick work or it will pull out all the mortar joints.

Andy

give it a few good applications of a systemic weedkiller such as round up (in a strong solution) and wait for that to start doing its stuff then get rid. it will actually come out fairly easily

Sponsored Links
That's not a timber fence post I spy in that second pic is it John? ;)

it's a gatepost, bolted to the corner of a wall. Obviously I never put wood in the ground.

Thank you everyone, we have started clearing the ivy and i think the root comes between our brick walls so unless we knock the wall down I will never get to the root :( at least i now can see day light through my window :) Just a thought Is there anything that I can use that the plant will take to its roots and kill it ?

sodium chlorate weedkiller

it is pretty fierce and will poison the ground for at least a year.

start by killing the leaves, then run a bit down round the roots. It will be easier if you cut away all the accessible top growth first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back