Adding a spur socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anybody tell me if it is OK to add a double socket outlet to a ring main by connecting it with a single 2.5mm2 T&E Cable into the back of a socket already on the ring ?

I have recently been told, by an electrician, that this was not OK as the potential loading could be 26A which is in excess of the maximum loading on that cable size.

He suggested either adding the socket into the ring, or supplying it from an FCU.

I asked if a 6mm2 cable would be OK to feed the spur socket - he said no and went on about resistances or something.

Can anyone confirm this as I had always thought that it was OK. I have done a few google searches and read some of the how tos on this site and have found nothing regarding cable sizing to spur sockets.

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
It is okay to install a double socket outlet directly on to a socket outlet on a ring final circuit, providing the socket you are taking the feed from is not already a spur.
I personally prefer to extend the circuit, so all sockets form a ring, but one double socket outlet can be installed via a spur, keep the cable size as your current set up is, if you wanted to have more than one socket via a spur it must they must then be connected and protected via a fused connection.
Does the circuit have RCD protection?

Thanks very much for the quick response.
However my question was about cable sizes. Is it OK to use 2.5mm2 T&E cable to connect this spur socket?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Thanks, PrenticeBoyofDerry.
Just re-read your first message. I had managed to miss the bit about using the cable size of the existing ring.
No, not using RCD, yet, but due to get CU changed very soon, this will include RCD protection.

Steve

The reason I mentioned RCDs. Is that any additon to exisiting circuits, now need to be protected by them, you can buy RCD protected Socket outlets and RCD protected FCUs.
I hear what your saying regarding new CU, but you need to be aware.

Thanks again for the info.
The new CU is bought and waiting for installation by someone who is qualified AND who knows what they are doing - not the guy who gave me the cable sizing advice!
All the best,
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back