Stripping and refinishing monks bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I have been asked to strip down and refinish a monks bench.

I am no expert on the process (don't worry, the owner is well aware of this) but have a few queries.

So far I have just chemically stripped the centre of the top table part and sanded with 180 grit for a couple of minutes with an orbital sander to see what was underneath. You can see the contrast between this and the border that I have yet to touch

So, a few questions that I hope you can help me with

Firstly, what is the timber?

Is it feasible to sand out all the darker parts within the grain, or should these come out with more stripper and wire wool?

And finally, what sort of finish would people recommend - the customer isn't too bothered about the exact finish, but wasn't happy with the consistency of what was done the last time (as it is now)

look forward to the replies, and thanks in advance

first time posting pics, so hope they work!

//media.diynot.com/116000_115893_22904_39437862_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/116000_115893_22902_26902731_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/116000_115893_22905_37834123_thumb.jpg

Andy

Sponsored Links
sorry the pictures are a bit small to offer much help with the wood type?

It's possibly oak but as the last poster says the pictures are a bit small, and to be honest they're a bit on the fuzzy side to be absolutely sure. If it is off any age then it may as I say be oak but equally could be pine.
What finish was on it to begin with?
If it was an old piece I fear that you may have caused damage with the chemical stripping and over zealous sanding removing any patina that may have built up.
It's not clear what these "dark patches" are that you refer to but would think that they probably won't come put. As to the finish , scrap rather than sand and apply a wax or a french polish.
And if you can try for better pictures?

Sponsored Links
thanks, will try to get some better pictures uploaded, only had my phone to hand at the time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back