I've lost the keys to my new door!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This UPVC door was supplied to me as a mis-measured factory surplus item. It's been stored in my conservatory for a year, and I've either misplaced the keys, or they were never actually supplied with the door. The original supplier has gone dead on me, so what are my options?

It's in the locked position unfortunately, otherwise I'd be happy to fit a new barrel. Can I feasibly drill this out? I don't particularly fancy paying locksmith call-out rates for what is a £200

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Wow! I've been looking at the bump-key tutorials on youtube too. Got to be worth a shot. I've just spoken to my local locksmith, and he needs £48 to drill the lock out :(

i think the bump key idea only works with yale type locks!

Sponsored Links
i would check the blue plastic comes off easy if it peels off easy leave it on
if its difficult to remove get it off strait away as it will get worse the longer you leave it

Ok, so were the keys in the barrel when you got the door???

If not then check around the outer frame or inside the bead area, some companies lock the door and screw the keys to the frame.

Once fitted a door only to realise when toeing and heeling the door that the keys were still screwed to the frame :confused: :(

Well, my other french doors happen to have the same kind of keys, so I had a go at using one of the many spares to make a bump key. The first key didn't work. I then tried a second with more aggressive bumps, and hey presto, the lock opened on the fourth or fifth bump.

Slightly worrying - I'll have to do some research into replacement locks to try to find one that's bump proof.

Cheers for the tip on the plastic - I'll take a look.

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back