ferroli falcon repeating lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler: ferroli falcon probably mark I.
The problem: lock out light comes on requiring reset; sometimes in heating mode sometimes in dhw mode.
When: usually after several hours working, but once gone in to lock out mode a second reset needed after only ten minutes. Once the boiler has to be reset it is usually a matter of resetting it for the rest of the day.
Tests done so far:
Valve. Modulates fine between 2 and 12 mb. Heating is range rated to minimum.
Inlet pressure fine.
Continuity between sensing electrode and board connection: less than 1 ohm.
100 degree stat is replaced, and has heat conducting paste on it.
System pressure is constant and never needs topping up.
Polarity is fine.
Boiler is about 5 years old.
No noticable blockage of the rads, they heat up quickly and completely from top to bottom.

Sponsored Links
Isn't that one the same as the modena 80e?, if it is try new ignition and flame rec electrodes......they bend, reduce the gap and cause lockout.

Fault :- lock out , boiler booming sound, unreliable ignition
indication :- black mark on inside of ignition chamber cover just below the flame/spark inspection window.

Between A Corgi reg engineer and myself (engineer) we have just found a fault within the Falcon Boiler. To describe the problem, the gas jets sit within a supporting assembly and some of the jets are looser than others. The spark electrode is above the gas jet at about 3mm, if this jet is loose in the assembly and the cover is too close to the electrode it sparks to the case, the effect of this is to make the ignition unreliable, also if the gas ignites when the sparking is to the case the boiler tends to make a "boom" sound since the chamber is full of gas at the time of ignition. We are in the process of eliminating this problem firstly a piece of mica has been inserted between the case and electrode, this worked for a couple of days, next is to earth the jet. We will see how it goes :confused:

Interesting. As an aside, these can be useful in finding out whether an intermittently locking out boiler is overheating or not. Stick one on the flow pipe and see how hot it has been.

The pic shows it as the vertical, 8 level type.

Sponsored Links
My Ferroli Falcon boiler has been playing up. I have had a new pressure release valve fitted after a problem with loss in pressure. That was roughly 2 months ago.

Recently I have been experiencing lock out problems which means I need to reset the boiler. This works fine for a day or two but the problem would continue. There has also been a booming sound, almost as id the boiler is about to blow of the wall! a little worrying :eek:

Could anyone advise me on the possible problem? is this something I could fix myself or would i need an engineer and they sting me for a new MCB board or similiar!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back