downlights from 13 amp connection unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i want to fit down lights downstairs in kitchen ceiling, i have a 13 amp socket that will never be used as it is jammed behind a kitchen unit,i can get access to the cable's from the back quite easily,and fit connection unit higher up the wall for access, so can i change 13amp socket to a 13amp connection unit,then run a 1.5 cable to lights,

Sponsored Links
I dont see why not, presuming its a switched fused connection unit your going to be fitting.
Will you be burying the cables, do you know if you have RCD protection on said circuit?

bigjon, yes it is a switched fuse unit, i'm not sure if i have RCD protection the fuse box have switches,the cables run down to a 13 amp socket i was going to cut these cables and run to the fused connection unit,
from what i have read on this site this is okay if the fused connection unit was a spur, but i was unsure because it would be on the ring circuit as i cant get access to front of 13 amp socket, i can only get into the cables that go into the back of socket

Sponsored Links
Hi spark1, i was thinking of putting in 230volt they will go into plaster board ceiling which i will be getting plastered,(no more than 2 50 watt's plenty of room in ceiling,by the way i have decided to put a 13 amp socket above the one i cant access & just run a fused connection unit to lights,can you advise me on lights they are not for show,someone in the family is visually impaired

The 13 amp socket should not be jammed behind a kitchen unit, they should be easily accessesible. So if at any time they did need to be inspected and tested this could be done.
I suggest the socket is moved, so it is accessible.
A fused connection unit can be installed to this, you could use a switched FCU as this can then be used as a functional switch, if not you would need to then drop a switch cable down to operate the lights. The FCU would need to be down fused to a suitable rating.
When fitting downlights you must ensure that you have adequate ventilation around the fitting and that their use does not breech any fire regulations.

What seems to have been missed so far is that you cannot use a 13A fuse on the lighting circuit. You will have to fit a 3A fuse in the FCU in order to comply with regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back