Kitchen Plan (using filler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could do with some opinions on my kitchen plan. I've used filler in the base units to keep the top and bottom units aligned. Is this the right approach to take or would it be ok to have the top and bottom units out of allignment?

We've decided on IKEA for price reasons.

Any ideas\feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Better to keep top and bottom aligned, I think. But if your units are standard widths why do you need filler anyway - because of the cooker width? In which case I would suggest putting the base filler next to the cooker, and line all the other units up.

what's with the gap at the end of the run?
and where's the fridge?

you need to make a triangle between the fridge, cooker and sink usually..

Are you walls square, plumb, straight, and true? Are they completly free of damp?? Have you got any services running behind where the units are going???

Ikea units go right to the walls, the whole back goes to the wall, there is NO service gap, therefore no where to run pipework or cables in trunking that come above the bottom of the unit and you cannot scribe the units back to the wall to allow for the wall to be out! I have fitted one ikea kitchen and cant think if any reason why i would want to fit another one in an older solid built property without battening and boarding out all the walls first!

Sponsored Links
ColJack: The gap at end of run is the space for the fridge-freezer handle (built-in unit).

1john: The kitchen is a blank canvas, freshly plastered walls and I am running all services under plinth level. I hear what you are saying about Ikea but the cost saving is substantial. I was under the influence there was a 25mm gap behind the units so enough for running 15mm water pipe up behind the fridge freezer. Can you let me know if this is not the case.

Thanks for your replies.

i meant the left side of the plan.. not the big white cupboard

sinks usually go under the window not against a blank wall ( the wife deserves a good view while washing up.. ) :)

To the left of the fridge is a wall, at the oposite end is open plan to the dining room. I tried to do a design with the sink by the window but there is no enough space due to:
1) kitchen being narrow (1.9m) for two sets of standard units
2) expensive to move boiler (located next to sink)
3) no space for cooker
4) Doorway limits options to wrap round units.

Thanks again.

the ikea kitchen i had to fit had NO gap, the hardboard sat flush to the wall, so even if the wall was 5mm out of plumb there was nothing to do apart from hacking into the walls :(

B&Q 'it' range is very competetive, they appear to have a long running 50% off deal coupled with all the other offers they are running on most weekends, there is a generous service gap, the only downside is the rear of the units is hardboard where as wickes kitchens use a 15/18mm (cant remember which off top of my head) chipboard so therefore much stronger.

You can also contact howdens if there is a local one and take them your kitchen plan, they will price it up for you, you can tell them you want discount too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back