Built in cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am having a new kitchen fitted. I would like all the wall units to be the same size and height above the worktop and hob (so will need to have it 650mm to comply with regs above hob). I would like a built in cooker hood that is 'invisible' as possible and it needs to be recirculating.

My question is, how do they work?

On all the products I can find, it says they are suitable for extract and recirculation, and show a duct hole on top. Is it as simple for recirculation that we fit it to the underside of a standard cupboard, then have a small duct from the hood hole to the top of the cupboard, with a hole cut in?? If so, would this need a cover?

If it is of any consequence, the units are ikea.

Any help will be much appreciated.

ps. a second part to the question - if i reduced the 650mm height of cupboards to 600mm to match the tiles, would this be a big issue?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
ps. a second part to the question - if i reduced the 650mm height of cupboards to 600mm to match the tiles, would this be a big issue?
I think you have answered this question yourself(650MM min)
Do you have a link to the product?
But to be honest I don't think having all the wall cabinets at 650mm above worktop is practicable.
The hood will come with an option to extract outside this means a hole needs to be cut through the wall or a replaceable filter system.
The outlet connection on the hoods are not always in the same place, but again normally have two options, straight out from the back or straight up through the top.
You could need a connection pipe to feed to outside and an outside vent/grill.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a specific product, as knowing how to connect it is part of the issue of selecting the right one.

You say how to externally duct it, but I want to internally recirculate the air, as I can't get it to the external wall. What is the principle of connecting a recirculating one to a standard cupboard? Where does the outlet/ out air go? Read the original post for fuller discription.

Many thanks.

When ducting is impractical or there is no apparent problem of condensation in a kitchen that is already well ventilated, then the hood may be installed in the re-circulating mode. In this case the correct charcoal filter must be fitted and replaced periodically.

Some models now have available washable charcoal filters that can be cleaned in the dishwasher. These are effective for 3 years or more if washed on a regular basis.

When a hood is fitted in the re-circulating mode, it will be less effective than if it was ducted out.

So you just use the charcoal filter, the contaminated air passes through the hood then the filter, the air is cleaned and passed back in to the kitchen.

It's simples!

Sponsored Links
Confusion!

I know about recirculation principles. The question I am asking is how do you practically fit a built in type of hood to a standard wall unit say 600 wide by 700 high. It says you can put it in a standard cupboard but where does the air expel? Do you have to cut a hole in the top of the cupboard and duct up to it?

There is usually a vent at the top of the appliance, this will allow the air to be fanned out. Where the external duct is by-passed.
Intergrated units operate when the door is opened, this should allow air to pass freely.

Hi,

thanks for all your replies. The type I am talking about is:

http://www.neff.co.uk/606044.html

So this is a built in type. It isn't an integrated type that you open the door to activate. So my question is still the same, does this not need an extract to recirculate (i.e. it all happens on the underside of the unit/ cupboard) or do you need something at the top of the cupboard to vent out of?

[/url]

Thanks for the links.

'it has to be vented out somewhere, that's how it works'

That's my original question!... where is vented?? and how??

I spoke to someone at Ikea yesterday about these built in type, they sell similar ones, and it was just built in to a standard cupboard. No holes in the top or anything. I ask the guy if the cupboard needed a vent hole, and he said no, it just fits inside the cupboard with the filter cut out of the bottom... that didn't sound right to me, it sucks the air in through the filter, to inside the cupboard, then goes nowhere?

I spoke to someone at Ikea yesterday about these built in type, they sell similar ones, and it was just built in to a standard cupboard. No holes in the top or anything. I ask the guy if the cupboard needed a vent hole, and he said no, it just fits inside the cupboard with the filter cut out of the bottom... that didn't sound right to me, it sucks the air in through the filter, to inside the cupboard, then goes nowhere?

Well that sounds total carp!
If the extraction unit is going to be fitted within a unit that does not supply ventilation, you will need to form a cut out and install a grill cover.
Another link for downloadable manuals, if it helps any.
https://portal.bsh-partner.com/portal(bD1kZSZjPTAwOQ==)/PORTALFRAME.HTM
English starts at page 16

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back