British Gas engineer working "on the side" - cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been discussed to death before but here is the scenario:

One of my relatives has had their sh*tisf***ed boiler spring a leak - they've had nothing but trouble with it. They have a contract with British Gas to keep it going but have had enough of it breaking down on them.

My relative suggested to the BG engineer that he'd be better off getting it replaced. He had a silly quote from BG to do it but the BG engineer said he could do it out of work hours for a greatly reduced price as a cash job.

Now he's also told my relative that he will sort out the paperwork and he'll get everything apart from the GasSafe certificate which won't be a problem as the HIPs system is no longer running so he doesn't need to have the GasSafe certificate.

I was under the impression that BG engineers were covered by British Gas themselves under their registration and any work carried out outside BG contract was not certifiable.

Now if the BG engineer did this job as a "homer", would the boiler warranty be valid ? It would probably be a WB boiler. If there was a gas leak or something and an insurance claim was needed, what comeback would my relative have ? Would the installer have his own Gas Safe registration number or would he be covered under a blanket BG number ?

Sorry for all the questions but I've just spent the past 30 minutes on the phone trying to argue with my relative that its really not a great idea.

Ta
Dom

Sponsored Links
No.

Don't get BG to do it - too pricey.

No.

Don't get it done without getting a certificate. With or without the HIPS, it will cast a shadow over the deal with most home buyers if a relatively newly installed boiler has not got it - they may question other work in the house.

Get it done by a Gas Safe registered RGI who gives a competitive quote and a certificate.

AFAIK, if his manager found out he was doing this, he would get fired immediately.

And he isn't gas safe certified as he is only covered to work for British Gas. BG Engineers aren't allowed to have their own private Gas Safe number so hes both working illegally(big fine/possible jail time) and liable to get fired from British Gas.

Other than that, sounds kosher!

Sponsored Links
Get him to fit it and when he asks for the money tell him that you're gonna report him to BG and Gassafe and give him nothing.

It's play money for him but it's a living for us independants that pay our own way :evil:

he'll get everything apart from the GasSafe certificate which won't be a problem as the HIPs system is no longer running so he doesn't need to have the GasSafe certificate.
He's telling porkies. The demise of HIPs has no bearing on the requirement to have a GasSafe Certificate.

The reason he is saying this is because be will be unable to provide a certificate as he is not Gassafe Registered.

I wouldn't touch him with the proverbial 10 metre gas pipe.

Get three quotes from independent contractors - ask neighbours, friends relatives for recommendations. You can also use Trustmark to find one. They are a non-commercial government-backed organisation, unlike Checkatrade etc.

Ask family & freind's neighbour's for recommendation's , I would not be to impressed with any Trustmark scheme , it is probably another way of fleecing the honest hard working decent tradesman out of a few quid as per usual like alot of these scheme's that are dreamt up by some pencil pusher type in some Quango some where ??? Legalised scam's perhap's ??????

Apart from fact the guy will do a better and far cheaper job than the people who have replied.
If you think a bit off paper from gas safe means its been done right then your living in cloud cuckoo land.
Go with him save yourself a fortune

And apart from the fact its illegal.....ignore namsag he is wrong. What comeback has your relative got if they have a problem? an illegal install done for cash with no trace that the BG moron was even there?

Tell them to report him to BG and Gas safe, he is an illegal. If he wants to install boilers on his own , then he can set up on his own with all of the costs incurred with it. :evil:

Strange how Namsag is quite happy to start a witch hunt against someone he believed was working illegally but then advises the OP to use someone that's both working illegally and ripping his own employer off.

Anyone could be forgiven for thinking the other business had a personal motive.

so hes both working illegally(big fine/possible jail time)

Jail time - you have to be joking... jails are all full. The people who are in place to police such things are massively understaffed, underfunded, overworked and have less power than most people think. Every week I see the laws of the land being broken (by electricians, plumbers, homeowners etc.). Only when somebody is hurt or killed does anything happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back