Changing outside PIR security light to normal switched light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope some one can help me with this - i thought it was going to be straight forward.

I've got an outside PIR security light that I want to replace with a normal door light that can be switched on/off from inside.

When I removed the PIR light it has 4 wires, live, neutral, earth (which I think comes from a switched spur) & and extra L1 (which i think comes from the light switch inside). This all works fine but I have no need for the 300W PIR.

The new light I bought (massive manchester) is a normal switch on/off but inside only has live & neutral connections.

I'm not sure what I should be doing with 2 of the wires (1 eatch & 1 live)??

Is it safe to choc block them & insulation tape, then just use the neutral from switched spur and live from light switch?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You probably have L, N, E and switched live, allowing the old fitting to be overridden to be permanently lit from the switch indoors. You now need to isolate the permanent live feed - putting it into an extra piece of 6A terminal block inside the fitting should be fine, but it would be even better if you could find the supply end and disconnect that too. Don't use insulation tape.

Cheers, that sounds good to me. I will try and find the spur it is fed from but it leads to my utility room which has 3 switched fuses in different place for the boiler, alarm and light.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, that sounds good to me. I will try and find the spur it is fed from but it leads to my utility room which has 3 switched fuses in different place for the boiler, alarm and light.

If the light is fed from an FCU then the switch is probably fed from there too, unless someone has cocked up the wiring in the first place and you've ended up with a borrowed neutral. Either that, or the whole lot is off the lighting circuit and nothing to do with the FCUs in the utility room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back