Our extension project!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After living in our house for 3 months, we decided to embark upon our planned extension so thought I would put the progress on here as I visit the site a lot to answer various questions.

THE PLAN.
To demolish the single storey extension (done in the 80's) which contains a utility room and downstairs toilet.
In it's place we want to build a two storey extension incorporating a 3rd downstairs reception room, toilet and utility room downstairs. Upstairs will have a master bedroom with ensuite and we will extend the bathroom out a bit to put in a toilet. Currently the bathroom and toilet are separate so we will use the toilet as a corridor to the bedroom, and re-house the toilet in the extended bedroom.

Hope that all makes sense but if not, the plans are in the photo album!

Estimated time for works to be done: 6 weeks (I have faith in our builder so far!)

We had a very easy time of the planning procedure and it all went through without a problem.

Only hiccup so far is having to build the shell before getting it valued by the bank, and hoping the value is high enough to borrow the extra £15K or so to finish it all off!

//www.diynot.com/network/sarah83/albums/

Sponsored Links
After 9 days of work, builders have,

1. Demolished existing extension

2. Excavated 2m down for foundations. This is due to the close proximity of our neighbours trees.

3. Filled with concrete.

4. Constructed beam and block floor (the rest of the house is raised to incorporate warm air heating).

5. Bricked up to window height.

6. Put up the scaffolding to continue.

Looking great Sarah! 6 weeks isn't a very long time though! Hope it all works out for you - be sure to keep us posted!

What plans do you have for the interior?

Thanks- I will add some more photos tomorrow hopefully.

Roof is about to go on so being in the 4th week- it's all looking good time-wise.

Sponsored Links
Hi Sarah,

How are you enjoying your extension. I am thinking of doing the same, but single storey. With three exposed walls what is the heating like in the new lounge. Is it colder than the rest of the house, what heating do you have.
Anything you would have done differently.

Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back