Water Supply to Washing Machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
I am looking into moving our washing machine into the garage. I was considering the water supply and noticed that even on a hot wash cycle the combi boiler never kicks in, as it would if you ran the hot tap.
The machine seems to work fine but it is obviously only drawing cold water you can hear the element heating it up before starting the wash.
Is this normal or does this mean the thermostat is not working?
I was thinking if this is the case I only need to run one pipe to the garage i.e. the cold supply.
If I did this would I have to seal off the hot supply inlet on the machine or connect along with the cold inlet it to single cold supply?
Thanks
G.

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone
I am looking into moving our washing machine into the garage. I was considering the water supply and noticed that even on a hot wash cycle the combi boiler never kicks in, as it would if you ran the hot tap.
The machine seems to work fine but it is obviously only drawing cold water you can hear the element heating it up before starting the wash.
Is this normal or does this mean the thermostat is not working?
I was thinking if this is the case I only need to run one pipe to the garage i.e. the cold supply.
If I did this would I have to seal off the hot supply inlet on the machine or connect along with the cold inlet it to single cold supply?
Thanks
G.
Most (can't think of any that do) w/machines are cold water fill only nowadays :)

You can run a single cold supply out to where the machine will go but both hot and cold will need to be connected as some programs will sit waiting for the machine to fill using the hot supply valve (mostly washes over 40-50 degrees C).

Bear in mind that you will need to insulate the pipes and machine during frosty weather (seen loads of fill valves split due to freezing up)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all
BTW it's a Indesit Omega 1000
Good point about the freezing forgot about last winter I had a bucket of water freeze solid in the garage !!!!!
Ta.
G.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back