Metal plug socket help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Firstly I have scanned the forums here, (and elsewhere), but cannot find an answer to my question and I apologise if it has already been addressed before.

Just in the process of decorating a new house and have decided to go for chrome plug sockets.

I have replaced plastic sockets for like previously. However this was some years back so...

Being cautious of electrics I decided just to check what I knew on the net and have seen it said that metal sockets require a metal back box, (although it was not very clear). It also mentions in the socket instructions that the earth has to connect back to "terminal in metal back box". However I am sure I have seen plastic backs on metal sockets elsewhere.

The house has plastic back boxes, do I need to swap them out for metal?

I assume that if I can keep the plastic back boxes I have no need to run the earth from the socket to the back box as plastic is an insulator?

Cheers,

JH

Sponsored Links
You mean the plastic back boxes are flushed into the wall?

This is fine.

Just connect the earth wires of the cables to the earth terminal of the new socket.

Any metal back boxes should preferably have an earth wire fitted between the box and the socket.

Any light switches to be replaced with metal ones must have an earth connection to the new faceplate. Again, it would be desirable to provide an earth wire from the faceplate to the metal back box (if the box is metal).

Connect the earth(CPC) to the earth terminal on the face plate.

If it is a socket then I would hope that is where they connected it.

It doesn't make any difference with a socket outlet if it is metal or plastic, the CPC still goes to the faceplate. If the backbox is metal then put a link in from the faceplate to it, If it is plastic don't worry.

Edit: I can't believe it took me 7 minutes to say what he did above.

Sponsored Links
Flat plate accessories won't sit right on plastic boxes unless the flange around the edge of the box is flush with the wall.

Thanks guys,

Basically the plastic back box is no problem and no need to earth it.
So it is as simple as just swapping the sockets over.

TicklyT, it is not a flat socket I am fitting but a surface mounted one so that shoud not bean issue?

JH

Yes Plastic boxes not an issue, it's likely that yours is a dry-lining box and the walls are plasterboard stud.
The CPC(which is what you are calling the earth) will just need to be connected to the earth terminal on the socket-outlet plate and the jobs a good one.

Thanks guys,

So it is as simple as just swapping the sockets over. ...Bit of a sweeping statement! ...just hope for your sake then that the cpc has continuity back to the consumer unit........without testing how can you be sure ?

TicklyT, it is not a flat socket I am fitting but a surface mounted one so that shoud not bean issue?

JH

Thanks guys,

So it is as simple as just swapping the sockets over. ...Bit of a sweeping statement! ...just hope for your sake then that the cpc has continuity back to the consumer unit........without testing how can you be sure ?

JH

But I can't see where he did.....

Thanks guys,

JH

But I can't see where he did.....

A case of cocking up his quote/un-quote positions ?

Just change them.

Some people lose all perspective of reality on here.

I see I have not been clear, the back boxes are flush into the wall and the sockets are chrome, so all that is visible is chrome.

As it turns out the room that I was decorating has metal back boxes, (it is an extension which explains the difference to those I have seen elsewhere).

Thus my first question was moot.

Anyhow job done, all works, earth or CPC if perefered, run to the back box.

Not tested the eath, but I have all plans etc from when the previous owner built the extension and all looks legit and proffessional so I shall assume that the earth, earths.

Thanks for all your help,

JH

PS I assume 131.8 is referring to some electrical regulations...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back