ferroli 77ff boiler not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it worked until Friday night, i while i was in the bath it seemed to go off. ( boiler is in the bathroom).

it has been making a strange noise for a week or so, as if the fan was getting louder. i opened it up to see if any obvious blockages and the fan in the top right hand corner seemed ok but was stiff to turn, i removed it, sprayed it liberally with wd40 and reinstalled it which seemed to cure the problem. for 24 hours!

its now gone pff again and the fan seems stiffer than ever. the pilot light is lit and when i turn the tap on to get hot water the burners dont all light and the fan doesnt start which i am sure it used to.

could the fan be the problem?

thanks

Sponsored Links
it's the fan.

burner will not light if the fan isn't running.

you need to be very careful if you do the job yourself as you are disturbing case seals that affect the safe operation of the appliance.

thank you.

tbh i only checked the fan because that's what seemed to have been getting noisier.

i havent opened any other covers or anything. i have had the fan off now so i guess any seals that could have been damaged will have been by now anyway so i may as well order a new fan then i guess.

thank you for the info.

Its a pretty old boiler and now might be a good time to replace it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
well i think it's been in about 10 years, we have been there 6 years, it was done before we moved in but other than this there havent been any problems with it.

and atm i cannot afford to replace it, hopefully for the sake of a £50 fan it will run a while longer yet.

I dont see how a new fan can be just £50.

Tony

well i found someone on ebay selling reconditioned ones for £42.55 plus postage, the pic is exactly the same as the one i had removed from ours.

new they seemed to be £180+

Comercially I cannot contemplate using a repaired fan or PCB as we have to give a guarantee on our work.

Tony

depends who you buy from. i have used recon. fans on older boilers (always give clients the option of new or recon) with great success.

I went to an Adlink fan on a Puma 100 that had failed after just 13 months.

I was surprised as they had fitted a new motor to the fan and it did not look such a cheap job. But it had failed.

Tony

thanks for all the help and info above, i got the fan and fitted it adnd we now have central heating again but sadly no hot water.

as soon as i turned the boiler back on the fan started turning so that confirms our old one was def no good.

now tho we have no hot water. doesnt matter if the heating is on or not, when you turn on a hot tap, the boiler clicks as if something should happen bot nothing does, sometimes it even just goes back down to the pilot light until you turn the tap off again.

tia

Its a pretty old boiler and now might be a good time to replace it.

Tony

That was my first reply to you.

Was the no DHW fault not present at the moment before the fan failed?

Tony

i was in the bath at the time but the tap wasnt running so not sure, it defo worked to fill the bath tho!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back