building up floor level with plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to raise the floor level of a concrete conservatory floor. I was planning to use 18mm ply but when i looked at the price at wickes its more per square meter than i have paid for the laminate to go on top! £35 per SQM for ply will cost me £400!! Even looking at 9mm or 12mm ply is still running at £15 per SQM.

Looking at wickes website they do an 18mm t&g chipboard sheet. This is alot cheaper - would it be suitable?

Cheers
Dan

Sponsored Links
a sheet off ply is 1220x 2440= 3 square metres at around £10 a square metres if its £30 a sheet
not shure wherer you got £100 a sheet from :D ;)

And besides that: stay away from chipboard! It's rubbish and will limit your options of floor coverings

18mm ply: £30 per SQM http://www.wickes.co.uk/Exterior-Plywood/invt/111736 (I can't fit the big sheets in my car but acknowledge they are cheaper).

Ive only paid about £10 per SQM for my laminate floor so im not spending that much on ply.

The chipboard, 18mm tongue and groove, 600x2400, thats flooring grade isnt it? I'll be putting a moisture membrane under it and fibreboard underlay on top.

Sponsored Links
Well just get it delivered then! All sheet materials are a ripoff if you buy such small sheets. Use chipboard at your peril, you have been warned. Why can't you get it delivered? You do get building sites in the sticks you know and they need deliveries like everyone else even if it costs a few quid for del you'll still only be paying £10 m2 for the ply!

Yeah I would have had it delivered but ive left it too late and none of the trade places by me are able to deliver as i wanted to do it the weekend. My own fault, building up the floor a bit was a last minute decision.

May I ask why T&G chipboard is not suitable, don't they build all the floors out of chipboard in new builds?

Many thanks.
Dan

May I ask why T&G chipboard is not suitable, don't they build all the floors out of chipboard in new builds?
They do, to save costs and time but leave the owner of the new build with the problems over time. If you can, stay away from it. I know it is easy with the T&G and costs a fraction of decent ply but you'll regret it (sooner than later).

How about renting a van for a half a day and get those big sheets of plywood in?

Yeah they do a lot of things to cut costs and maximise profit. Like making the gardens big enough for nothing bigger than a gerbil to run around :LOL: .

Our 1990 build house has tongue and groove chipboard throughout, and the floor is squeaky, creaky, uneven and generally a bit rubbish.

Our chipboard in the kitchen expanded, crumbled and turned into Weetabix when a pipe leaked slowly behind a unit for a few months.

You can probably get away with using it, but from experience it's a bit crap.

phone your local woodyard timber merchant saw mill and plead urgency and all you buisness from now on £10 today or tommorow if your convincing

Estate & small development builds usually use nothing but chipboard; it’s cheap, easy to lay & requires no skill whatever to fit out but it’ll start flexing, creaking & groaning within a relatively short time. It’s total crap & should be banned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back