Roof Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 storey Victorian terraced house with an 'up and over' main roof and lean to back addition roof. The inside of the roof has been coated with polyurethane foam. This was done before I bought the house about 20 years ago.

I would like to have a couple of veluxes put in the front slope (west facing) but have been told of the problems the spraybonding will cause. Some roofers are happy to do the job explaining that they will strip off the foam in the relevant areas first. Would anybody doing the job need scaffolding?

I am concerned about having this work done because it is obviously not at all straight forward. Would I be better off having the roof slope stripped and re-slated with the veluxes put in as part of the job? Presumably this would mean new lathes would have to be fitted as the slates would have to be smashed off.

Any advice would be most welcome

Sponsored Links
To be honest it could be a real bitch of a job.
The answer to your questions IMHO is YES and YES

would have to agree with datarebal on this one the spray bonding imo is an absolute nightmare best bet take off roof and fit velux when re-slating then you know everything is right as they say if a jobs worth doing

Thanks. Any idea what a reasonable quote for re-slating the front slope of the main roof would be, including scaffolding? It's 5 metres wide by roughly 5 metres from gutter to ridge.
Does the spraybonding mean getting the old slates off is a major operation?
Are there any particular questions I should ask the roofer before he starts. My neighbour had a roof re-tiled and they didn't ventilate it properly.

Sponsored Links
It's a fairly small roof, slates and slating should not cost alot. Scaffold will be required and of course as it's London rubbish is a pain in the bottom as is parking which will add to costs.
get a few quotes
insist on bba approved underlay over fascia vents and a couple of vent slates at high level ...or vent ridge system.

TBh i would not even do the job.The last time i worked on such a roof was a nightmare,2 valleys,never again,having to knock the ripper under the slates with a hammer :cry: .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back