Radiators Hot, Central Heating Switched Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice Sunny Day and the radiators are coming on.

They seem to come on first thing and in the evening, which I would say coincides with the hot water sytem coming on.

Could this be the three port valve sticking allowing the hot water from the boiler to pass through the tank and the radiators.

How should I test this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thank you sir, I will check my MPV this evening to see if the Actuator can be removed.

Hi finally got round to tking the actautor off

It is a Drayton MA1.

Before I remove the actuator the "indicator lever" was pointing to the left, the rectangular spindle was perpendicular to the valve, which I would assume is the mid point.

The manual lever is in the locked position, when I move that the rectangular hole in the actuator moves right about 15 degree.

When we switch water and CH on and off the following happens:

CH on: hole moves right 1deg
Water on: hole moves to mid postion
CH + Water hole stays in mid position

Is the actuator knackered or is there somethingg else I can do to make it move to the left.

I am sure it worked OK previously, but, I have a wiring diagram so maybe I need to check that

Sponsored Links
The manual lever is in the locked position, when I move that the rectangular hole in the actuator moves right about 15 degree.
In normal use the lever should not be in the locked position. That is only used when filling or draining the system.

Switch the power off to the heating system (Turning the programmer off is not enough)
This resets the valve to the default HW position
The lever should be at the Auto position (opposite end to locked)
Move the lever to the locked end. You should feel a strong resistance and hear the valve open.
Release the lever and it should move back to the Auto end.

If there is no resistance (lever is floppy/loose), the valve is stuck in mid or CH position.
Remove the actuator and rotate the shaft (it only turns 10-15degrees)
If it is stiff to move, use a little light oil (WD40 or 3 in 1) to lubricate the spindle.

If this does not loosen the valve you will need a complete new valve.

If there is resistance, the problem must be electrical. The FAQ I gave a link to has full instructions for identifying the source of the problem.

Just to confirm that it seems to have been sorted.

Removed Actuator and gave the spindle a small waggle with a pair of pliers.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back