Replacing pendant light with chrome light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Not sure if this is the right forum - I guess the question falls between lighting, plastering and decorating! If mods feel it misplaced, please feel free to relocate to a more appropriate forum.

I'm looking to replace the existing pendant fittings in the bedrooms with fairly standard 3 arm, chrome fittings from John-Lewis.

My question is really around how to mount the bracket on the ceiling: Will it be sufficient to use redi drivers to screw the bracket into the plaster?

I've read a number of articles on t'internet, talking about outlet boxes and sticking a bit of wood above the ceiling to fix the bracket.
Given I'm clearly clueless on this matter, would it just be safer to get a sparky in to fit them?

If I do try it myself, are there any hints you can give me to avoid electrocuting myself and / or bringing down the ceiling?

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
It depends on a number of things:-

Wiring- Is the existing pendant wiring via ceiling rose / junction with loop in / loop out feeds and a switch wire ?
Or is it something else ?

(you need to remove the cover and report back !)

Fixing- Always best to provide a noggin / baton above the plasterboard and fix to that which will allow the weight of the lamp fitting to be spread out.
The fixings you mention are very good and will support a decent weight and would be a suitable alternative.

Various cavity fixing would supprot the weight you suggest:=

FXPBS35.JPG

p1399143_l.jpg

p1711307_l.jpg

the existing pendant has to be screwed into something, often a ceiling joist and the cables come down the side of it..

the bracket has the same hole centers as a celing rose more often than not, so it's simply a case of screwing the bracket back into the same holes that the ceiling rose comes out of....

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for the replies!

The ceilings have recently been skimmed, so I can't see where / how the ceiling roses were fixed. A trip up into the loft might be in order, to see if I can spy if the fittings match up with a joist.

I've only just ordered the chrome lights, so will see what the instructions say when they arrive. I suspect they'll say "if in doubt, call an electrician!" ;)

Given that in the last 4 days I have:

1. Cut through the main phone line by mistake
2. Reversed over my own, brand new carpets, in my 4x4
3. Fallen off the loft ladder as I hadn't properly extended it
4. Hacked a huge lump of plaster out of the window frame while drilling a small hole

I think the sparky option may be the right one. In which case, I'd probably be best banned from these forums for my own safety.

if you can get in to the loft and there is no close by joist to fit to, installing one providing you have access is no big problem.
But out of all the fittings, I would prefer to use the hollow wall anchors.

So you are removing a standard plastic fitting for a metalic chrome one, check that the lighting circuit has an earth before you purchase it.
As metalic fittings will need earthing if they are not double insulated fittings.
So if no earth on circuit, it will cost you to install one.

So you are removing a standard plastic fitting for a metalic chrome one
Yes, that's right - plastic fittings there at the mo, chrome ones coming.
As metalic fittings will need earthing if they are not double insulated fittings.
So if no earth on circuit, it will cost you to install one.
Bloomin' 'eck - why is nothing simple?!!

Bloomin' 'eck - why is nothing simple?!!
tis never simple.
But depending on the age of the house and if there have been any upgrades of installation since original build, you never know.
A lighting circuit earth was not always installed and some cut the earth back as it was not a requirement.
So always worth a look, it also goes for the light switches, they too must be plastic if no earth cable installed.

Thanks again for your thoughts mate, much appreciated!

We have metal (chrome) light switches throughout the house and also already have a chrome fitting in the dining room. I guess this bodes well?

The fittings arrive today so I'll take a look at the existing wiring and see if I can work out what's what.

Does not bode well. Take a switch plate off and see if there is an earth connected to the back of the plate. If not replace with plastic or,as you say get a sparks in PDQ

Thanks again for your thoughts mate, much appreciated!

We have metal (chrome) light switches throughout the house and also already have a chrome fitting in the dining room. I guess this bodes well?

The fittings arrive today so I'll take a look at the existing wiring and see if I can work out what's what.
It only bodes well if the person that fitted them knew what they were doing and was aware that they needed to be earthed.
As wingcoax states, quickest way to check is to remove the accessories and see if the cable is there.
This by no means, means continuity of the cable is present back to the supply, but a good start.

I think on this occasion I'm going to avoid any risk of a firey death and get a pro in!

On which note, any idea what I should be looking to pay to have two light fittings fitted, on the basis that the existing wiring is sound and we have beams in all the right places?

Mate, you've been really helpful - thank you! And the same goes to everyone else who has responded!

It's a shame that I raise forum entries ready to tackle jobs myself and am invariably left realising that professional sparkies, plumbers, builders and their brethren are around for damned good reason: they are good at these things and I am not! :oops:

Maybe one day I'll find the courage to have a crack - not this time though! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back