gas cooker flexible bayonet hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this should be in appliances but it seemed mor a gas pipe q.

Got a free standing gas cooker with a rubber hose, brass bayonet on the end. Its very stiff to get in and out of the bayonet socket, is there a lubricant I can use that wont attack the brass and is safe for gas?

Also I'm getting a new cooker soon, again free standing and I was going to get a new hose for it, the existing one is donkeys yeas old. As fitting this to the cooker doesnt involve sizing or installing rigid pipework or soldering joints or anything to do with flues that could leak or poor combustion that could poison me etc I plan to fit it myself. I know to get the right sort of hose (NG), and to use proper leak detector not fairy liquid.

Do have 1Q though, what should I use if anything to seal the connection at the cooker? Current one looks like they used Hermetite Red and who knows maybe they did but whats the right stuff?

Sponsored Links
You will need an rgi to fit new cooker hose so all test can be carried out for gas leaks.

Also new cooker can be checked and commissioned right

Id like a bit of realism really.

Its one screwed connection to check for leaks.

Commissioning? It doesnt need commissioning each time I unplug it from the bayonet so whats the difference? Saying I need an RGI to screw a hose in isnt realistic. Boilers, gas fires, pipeing to be soldered and designed yes, but not screwing in a hose designed to be disconnected at the other end anyway.

With all due respect, if you were competent enough to do DIY gas, as you have suggested, then you would not be asking these questions.

Sponsored Links
So one question about sealant for a screwed pipe connection makes me incompetent to do it once I know what sealent to use?

Obviously you have your own ideas of your competence. We have another!

Is it a flat or a house?

Tony

Id like a bit of realism really.

Its one screwed connection to check for leaks.

Commissioning? It doesnt need commissioning each time I unplug it from the bayonet so whats the difference? Saying I need an RGI to screw a hose in isnt realistic. Boilers, gas fires, pipeing to be soldered and designed yes, but not screwing in a hose designed to be disconnected at the other end anyway.

ooooohhhhh dear!!
You really dont have a clue do you? If you did you would see what a plum you are being :LOL:

It's a house.

Maybe a bit of helpful explanation rather than "you need an RGI to screw a hose in" would have been better. A proper explanation of why I cant check one connection for leaks. A proper explanation of why connecting one end of a hose means I need the cooker "commissioned" but connecting the other one doesnt. That sort of thing.

Ive had gas work done in my house twice, once by a Corgi guy the second time by a Gassafe one. The first one ran unsleeeved copper pipe through a wall which is why I needed the second one to replace the section of pipe that developed leaks. He checked his work with Fairy liquid. So Im disinclined to think that RGIs are automatically gifted with special powers.

I dont automatically assume that Im competent to do anything with gas but I really dont see whats special about screwing a 1/2 inch connector on and if it is special then someone should be able to explain why rather than telling me I dont know how to use a spanner.

You stated you were getting a new cooker ,thats why i mentioned it needs commissioning.
How would you check it for leaks, fitted cooker 5 days ago had a drop of 12mb in a min.
It was a fibre washer split on cooker on the union which screws onto the new gas hose.
not none of my joints i had done
tightness test install left it while i cleaned up packaging {meter was in kitchen} and found the drop.
would you have found the leak?????????

You have also asked the same question on another site and been told the same answer

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=118692&tstart=0

It's a house.

Maybe a bit of helpful explanation rather than "you need an RGI to screw a hose in" would have been better. A proper explanation of why I cant check one connection for leaks. A proper explanation of why That sort of thing.

I really dont see whats special about screwing a 1/2 inch connector on and if it is special then someone should be able to explain why

No-one should or has to explain anything to you. You asked the questions and got replies. Why the **** do you feel anyone owes you an explanation? This is a forum for free voluntary advice where you've acted as if a fare paying customer.

Lightning - thanks for being a lot more helpful and informative.

I guess it didn't occur to me that when spending £1000's on a new range cooker that it might be faulty on arrival. And yes, I did ask somewhere else as well, but check the times of the posts. I asked on Screwfix after all I got here was unexplained "you need an rgi to screw in a hose" and "you dont even realise you dont know how to use a spanner". Like I said, a bit more genuine explanation from Axel Agile and Lawrence would have been helpful.

The first answer on screwfix was the same " need an rgi" with no explanation so it was all starting to look like nothing more than job protection. Why is it so hard to get proper answers and not get treated like an idiot to be patronised.

It's a house.

Maybe a bit of helpful explanation rather than "you need an RGI to screw a hose in" would have been better. A proper explanation of why I cant check one connection for leaks. A proper explanation of why That sort of thing.

I really dont see whats special about screwing a 1/2 inch connector on and if it is special then someone should be able to explain why

No-one should or has to explain anything to you. You asked the questions and got replies. Why the **** do you feel anyone owes you an explanation? This is a forum for free voluntary advice where you've acted as if a fare paying customer.
Its up to you.

Do you want gas fitters to appear to be money grubbing pillocks who cannot explain why they are needed so making it look as though they have no justification but just tell people to get a gas fitter to protect their jobs or do you want to be genuinely helpful.

If you really cared about the safety of people you advised you wouldnt send them away with a nasty taste in their mouth thinking that theyd been conned because all that will do is make them think that the ONLY reason you told them to get a fitter was personal financial.

listen here pal. we dont make the rules up we are just telling u the law
you are not allowed by law to fit a gas appliance unless you are competent person, ie passed ccn1 in gas.

sorry but that is how it is mate ;) ;)

an example here.a friend decided he could fit a hob,and so he did.that day he asked if i could pop round and check if it was ok.he said it was ok as he used LDF on it etc.good job i checked it. it dropped 20mb in about 10 seconds.yet the LDF/fairy liquid didnt show this.only a proper test will do.by the way 20mb in 10s is major concern.its up to you but when i fit a cooker it takes a while as checks need to be made.not just plug it in and cook.

listen here pal. we dont make the rules up we are just telling u the law
you are not allowed by law to fit a gas appliance unless you are competent person, ie passed ccn1 in gas.

sorry but that is how it is mate ;) ;)
You see you have now lost all credibility in my eyes because I know that isnt true. It is for people doing it for a living but not if diying at home. The law requires them to be competent but not to have a particular qualification.

If a job needs tests that a diyer cant do with test equipment he doesnt have then explain that and people will go away happy that they have had good advice but the kneejerk answer of "if it says gas anywhere you must use a gas fitter" and then rubbish like that about the law only looks like youre trying to hoodwink people and then theyll go away thinking that theyve had crap advice.

What are the more likely to follow? What they see as good advice or what they see as crap? If you really wanted to help people youd give them useful advice they could trust not tell them the law says things it doesnt and make them think they cant trust you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back