gas cooker flexible bayonet hose

an example here.a friend decided he could fit a hob,and so he did.that day he asked if i could pop round and check if it was ok.he said it was ok as he used LDF on it etc.good job i checked it. it dropped 20mb in about 10 seconds.yet the LDF/fairy liquid didnt show this.only a proper test will do.by the way 20mb in 10s is major concern.its up to you but when i fit a cooker it takes a while as checks need to be made.not just plug it in and cook.
Fair enough but I hope you can see why as plug it in and cook is what I do with the far end of that hose it seemed it would be pretty much the same with the near end.

OK so if it isnt what was so hard for people to explain that.

Some of you need a serious attitude adjustment if you see your presence here as helping people with good advice they will trust rather than treating them like idiots and sending them away not believing what you tell them.

Sponsored Links
If you really believe that you know how it all works and how you can safely install a gas cooker, then this whole post is a meaningless academic discussion.

In the unlikely, but not altogether impossible, event that you do it yourself and cause a leak leading to explosion, fire, injury death etc, no-one posting on this site, especially the RGIs, want to have aided and abetted the illegal work, which it would be if a DIYer was not competent.

Its up to you.

Do you want gas fitters to appear to be money grubbing pillocks who cannot explain why they are needed so making it look as though they have no justification but just tell people to get a gas fitter to protect their jobs or do you want to be genuinely helpful.

If you really cared about the safety of people you advised you wouldnt send them away with a nasty taste in their mouth thinking that theyd been conned because all that will do is make them think that the ONLY reason you told them to get a fitter was personal financial.

I don't care how gas fitters appear, nor am I protecting anything as trades don't earn anything from this forum, something you've failed to take into account. Furthermore no-one has been 'conned' least of all you. You are free to post but what you write will affect the reply. Many DIYers obtain free advice here daily (you can read it). Therefore the fact you've been roundly ***ted off reflects more on your attitude than anyone else.

If you really believe that you know how it all works and how you can safely install a gas cooker, then this whole post is a meaningless academic discussion.

In the unlikely, but not altogether impossible, event that you do it yourself and cause a leak leading to explosion, fire, injury death etc, no-one posting on this site, especially the RGIs, want to have aided and abetted the illegal work, which it would be if a DIYer was not competent.
I wish there was a way to take away thanks that someone else had given. You just don't get it. You are supposed to be an expert so you know things I dont so tell me and explain dont just try and fob me off with an excuse which looks like "if you dont know what sealant to use you obviously cant screw a 1/2inch BSP together".

If I though all I had to do was screw the hose in and make sure that joint didnt leak and because of your expertise you knew I was missing important steps then treat me like an intelligent person and explain what and why they are important and why I cant do them. Dont just say get a fitter and expect me to guess that its because there are things I dont know, dont patronise me dont insult me and above all dont tell me its illegal unless I have a ccn1 qualification when that simply isnt true.

If you want people to value your advice you will do much better if you make it appear valuable and not appear to be fobbing them off with any old rubbish.

Sponsored Links
Its up to you.

Do you want gas fitters to appear to be money grubbing pillocks who cannot explain why they are needed so making it look as though they have no justification but just tell people to get a gas fitter to protect their jobs or do you want to be genuinely helpful.

If you really cared about the safety of people you advised you wouldnt send them away with a nasty taste in their mouth thinking that theyd been conned because all that will do is make them think that the ONLY reason you told them to get a fitter was personal financial.

I don't care how gas fitters appear, nor am I protecting anything as trades don't earn anything from this forum, something you've failed to take into account. Furthermore no-one has been 'conned' least of all you. You are free to post but what you write will affect the reply. Many DIYers obtain free advice here daily (you can read it). Therefore the fact you've been roundly ***ted off reflects more on your attitude than anyone else.
Well you should care, assuming you think you are here to help people. Because it did look as if you were supporting the brotherhood of gas fitters at all costs. It would be a chance in a million if you personally earned anything from me using an installer but overall it looked like jobs-for-the-boys-closing-ranks.

In a process like getting blood from a stone I managed to get an explanation which made sense so in that aspect I wasnt conned but if I hadnt perservered Id have gone away with the same advice but with it not making any sense to me and with it looking like all people wanted was to make sure I employed one of their own.

Id have gone away thinking that the advice was no good. Is that what you would have wanted? You moan about my attitude but I was the one who was patronised I was the one who was insulted and I was the one fed a cock and bull story about what the law says when all I was trying to do was to find out why the advice was good.

Like I said, if you dont want people to follow your advice and use gas fitters when they should then carry on as before but if you would rather they did follow it and avoid explosions fire and death then dont make it look unjustifiable and utterly self serving.

Id like a bit of realism really.

Its one screwed connection to check for leaks.

Commissioning? It doesnt need commissioning each time I unplug it from the bayonet so whats the difference? Saying I need an RGI to screw a hose in isnt realistic. Boilers, gas fires, pipeing to be soldered and designed yes, but not screwing in a hose designed to be disconnected at the other end anyway.

OP- You've talked new cooker then posted this. You've made incorrect assumptions about commissioning, demanded answers without courtesy of a please or thanks. Now you insist on being treated as an intellectual. If you wish to deem yourself competent then when you install your new cooker you'll be expected, as an RGI would, to put right any existing non-conformaties (or identify that there aren't any).

You now want these explained when earlier you'd already confirmed your competence by being able to attach a hose.

Well you should care, assuming you think you are here to help people. Because it did look as if you were supporting the brotherhood of gas fitters at all costs.

What costs? If by cost you mean treating you with the contempt you've earned and deserve then so be it.

I'm not here to do anything as I don't have to. But like others I don't mind offering advice to those who have an idea and ask courteously - neither of which applies in your case.

Id like a bit of realism really.

Its one screwed connection to check for leaks.

Commissioning? It doesnt need commissioning each time I unplug it from the bayonet so whats the difference? Saying I need an RGI to screw a hose in isnt realistic. Boilers, gas fires, pipeing to be soldered and designed yes, but not screwing in a hose designed to be disconnected at the other end anyway.

OP- You've talked new cooker then posted this. You've made incorrect assumptions about commissioning, demanded answers without courtesy of a please or thanks. Now you insist on being treated as an intellectual. If you wish to deem yourself competent then when you install your new cooker you'll be expected, as an RGI would, to put right any existing non-conformaties (or identify that there aren't any).

You now want these explained when earlier you'd already confirmed your competence by being able to attach a hose.
I didnt "demand" answers I asked a question. Is it not true that the cooker doesnt need commissioning each time I plug the bayonet back in? So I asked what the difference was. I did thank people when I eventually got answers but at that stage I had not had any good ones, only pronouncements from on high.

You arent gods, people arent going to do what you say just because you say it and they are in awe of you. If you dont care whether your advice is heeded, if you think that your responsibilities regarding helping them are met by a metaphorical "just **** off and do what I say because that should be enough for you" then your doing a grand job. If you genuinely want people to steer clear of things they genuinely shoudnt do then you are failing abysmally because of your refusal to accept human nature. I guarantee that for every 1 person like me who pushes for a proper explanation there'll be 10 that walk away and who wont take your advice because to them it looks like self serving fobbing off. To them it looks like you wont tell them what to do not because they genuinely cant but just because you dont want them to.

Also I'm getting a new cooker soon, again free standing and I was going to get a new hose for it

This is what you wrote. The new cooker will need to be commissioned. After which you can unplug it and plug until your wrist becomes weaker than it does from what you might normally use it for. But then no-one suggested commissioning following usual bayonet disconnection (which is for customer use anyway).

Well you should care, assuming you think you are here to help people. Because it did look as if you were supporting the brotherhood of gas fitters at all costs.

What costs? If by cost you mean treating you with the contempt you've earned and deserve then so be it.

I'm not here to do anything as I don't have to. But like others I don't mind offering advice to those who have an idea and ask courteously - neither of which applies in your case.
So asking questions, and then daring to ask for explanations means that I deserve to be treated with contempt, does it?

Being wrong about something because of lack of knowledge and trying to find out what lies behind the answers because my lack of knowledge prevents me from seeing it means that it's OK to patronise insult and lie to me, does it?

Is that site policy?

Also I'm getting a new cooker soon, again free standing and I was going to get a new hose for it

This is what you wrote. The new cooker will need to be commissioned. After which you can unplug it and plug until your wrist becomes weaker than it does from what you might normally use it for. But then no-one suggested commissioning following usual bayonet disconnection (which is for customer use anyway).
Yes, that's what I wrote.

And then when I asked why it needed commissioning after one end of a hose was connected, what sort of responses did I get?

Can you not see that however wrongly I thought all that was needed was a gas tight connection to be made when the hose was screwed in? Do you not think it reasonable for a layman to expect a brand new appliance costing £'000s to actually work properly? Can you not see that explaining those things to someone is going to work better than insulting them and lying to them?[/b][/i]

If you genuinely want people to steer clear of things they genuinely shoudnt do then you are failing abysmally because of your refusal to accept human nature.

I don't care what you do or don't steer clear from. Nothing to do with your cooker, I just don't like you. Human nature I suppose.

Being wrong about something because of lack of knowledge and trying to find out what lies behind the answers because my lack of knowledge prevents me from seeing it means that it's OK to patronise insult and lie to me, does it?

It just makes you incompetent to DIY gas.

You dont even know me but if you are going to take a dislike to people when they object to you patronising, insulting and lying to them then I imagine you dislike a great many people.

All I wanted was proper advice but because I didnt prostrate myself following the first "get an RGI" you seem to think its OK to abuse me.

Well it ******* well isn't.

It just makes you incompetent to DIY gas.
And being incompetent to DIY gas makes it OK for you to patronise insult and lie to me when I ask for an explanation does it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back