Seal worktop joints - PVA?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just about to fix my new kitchen worktops down and before I do I believe I need to seal the cut edges.

I'm going to use colour fill on the top edges to hide the joins but on the bottoms of the joins and around the sink and hob, I have read on here to use PVA.

Is there a particular PVA that I should use? Is PVA and wood glue the same thing?

Thanks guys :)

Sponsored Links
Oh and should I water the PVA down at all or just straight on?

You can use PVA adhesive on the worktop joints but please don't use it to seal around cutouts for sink /hob. Use a proprietary oil based polyurethane varnish.
PVA being water based will never effectively seal these areas.

You can use PVA adhesive on the worktop joints but please don't use it to seal around cutouts for sink /hob. Use a proprietary oil based polyurethane varnish.
PVA being water based will never effectively seal these areas.

Thanks John - I guess if i'm buying varnish then I might as well do all the joints with that if its ok?

BTW "proprietary oil based polyurethane varnish" is a bit of a mouthful to recite in B&Q and I doubt they will have a clue so can you recommend one or at least a brand name... or will Ronseal or equivalent clear varnish be on that category?

Sponsored Links
if you use an exterior grade pva,then i see no problems with using it.
ive never had any problems as by the time the sink is plumbed in the glue is dry anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back