Cost savings by switching to GU10 LED lamps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have quite a large number of Halogen GU10 50W mains lamps around the house, around 22 in total. My local supplier has shown me the new breed of GU10 LED (daylight) bulbs, which work out at around just over £15 each, although I have seen cheaper versions of what appear to be the same thing.

My question is therefore; Will they give off the same amount of light, and will they last as long as the manufacturer is claiming i. e. 30,000 hours, and do I need to spend £15 per bulb?

Any advice would be welcome - thanks

Sponsored Links
If anything you need to spend MORE than £15/lamp. If you want anything that comes close to the output of a 50w halogen then you will be looking at more like £20-£25/lamp.

I can't comment on lifespan as I haven't seen any quality lamps installed long enough to make a judgement, but I have seen cheap (<£5) models fail within months of fitting.

You're unlikely to ever make back the purchase price in savings, but if you've got other reasons to want to save energy then I'd suggest converting a few fittings at a time to see how you feel about the performance of current LED technology.

Sponsored Links
I have a house full of these (20 odd)

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u1020ww-gu10-wide-angle-warm-white-p-2164.html

I've used Ultraleds a lot (all our cars run on LEDS now)

Not a singke one blown yet (6 months) and as far as I can see they seem as bright as the originals. MUCH less heat, they are not even warm after several hours on. I think CF bulbs have gone the way of the dinosaurs

Reckon they will pay for themselves in under a year as they are in high use areas and on a lot

Only drawback, is son in lost moans he has to turn heating on more as the 10 50W GU10 in his loft conversion kept it pretty toasty. But he does say he doesnt burn his head anymore (low ceiling, very tall son)

Not tried those. My wife hates the "Blue" light and prefers yucky yellow, but what she says goes :(

The 40W ones are very slightly less bright than the CF ones when the CF's are brand new. After about a month the LEDs are brighter as they dont fade like CF's

The neutral white LEDs are far more acceptable than the 'warm' or 'cool' types. Can't remember what brand I installed recently, but they produced a very pleasing light. Looks like it had a single chip, multi-die device as the emitter.

I've used Ultraleds a lot (all our cars run on LEDS now)

I think your cars run on unLEDed.....

Silinman...You will have to pay more more than £15 to get anywhere near an acceptable light output.
Do you want to dim these lighting circuits? if the answer is 'no' then you might want to steer towards CFL GU10s....or take the opportunity to redesign the lighting in your house. :)

Thats why the ones above I suggested from Ultraleds are nice, they are wide angle, bright as halogen GU10's, turn on instantly and only 4W.

The wife didnt even notice I'd swapped from normal incandescent GU10's in the kitchen

Oh and my car is a Land Rover, it mainly runs on second hand veg oil. LED bulbs in off roaders are superb cos they dont implode when dunked in cold water like normal bulbs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back